Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Other "Military" Moms will understand >

Other "Military" Moms will understand

Other "Military" Moms will understand

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM

You really don't have to be military to understand. All you have to be is a mom....

Sewfine...that is a great poem...thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Yep, I do.
Been there, done that.
J J
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM

I understand as well. My son has been overseas his whole enlistment in the Navy - first Bahrain (with side trips to Iraq). Now he's in Rota and plans to move to the Army next year.

Thank goodness for Skype and cell phones!

Take care of you and yours.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM

I am so sorry! I know what you are going through. I will be praying for you all.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM

Though hard, the choice to let your son and grandkids have time together is so wonderful. They really do need that time.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Trying to work on swap blocks today...this is last day of son's leave before he is deployed for over year...sooo looking through teardrops while sewing.

Didn't want to go to his house today so his girls will pay attention to him instead of Nana...they are 5yr, 2 yrs & 3mo and don't understand Dad won't be back for a long time. Hard decision for me and I'm not known for my willpower.

I asked them to stop by my office in the morning so I could tell him good bye before they take him back to the base. Then I doubt if I'll be much good at work for awhile....lucky for me my boss is very understanding.

Husband had to leave for work so it's just me and the cats home today.

So it's sewing I will do...hope the blocks line up.

Have been there w/ 3 sons. One was over 3 times. It never gets easier. I'm just blessed that they all came back in good shape. Hang in there. Hugs. Marge L.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM

I kknow where you're coming from. My Nephew Ryan (like our 3rd son) is in Iraq for the second time right now.
get skype its great of course your son will need a laptop and webcam too. Its the best thing ever.that way you can see and talk to him while he's there. his family too if they also join skype. Of course its not a everyday thing just mainly when you're lucky to be on the same time. But you can also set up a time. I'm in Ohio and I believe it 8 hours difference. so I try and be sure to leave the computer on and online with skype in case he's able to sign on. seems like that works the best
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM

The poem brought on the tears. It is so hard to have our families go away like this and for such an extended period of time. I wish this war was over, so all our troops would be home. My prayers do out to you and your family. And I will keep you in my prayers. We are here for you!

Blessings and prayers to your son for taking the call for duty
Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I'm so sorry to hear he's going back. It's such a scary place to be.

When you get an address for him, I'd like to send a care package or two also. Or if he's getting enough, maybe he could give you addresses of some who don't get anything.

I bet everyone on the list would like to adopt a soldier.
My son is Active Duty Navy also. His unit gets three to four care packages a month. I just sit a box out with a list of stuff you can send. The Health Dept that I use to work also collect items for a care package. My dad pays the postage. This link tells you what you can include:

http://www.allmilitary.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=13887
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM

My Dad was in the Army for 23 years before he retired. I can stil remember seeing him off to VietNam 4 different times. So I have an idea of the pain you are experiencing as a Mom. Tell you son THANKS for serving and keeping our country and place we are proud to call home. God bless all of you!