Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is It Still A Stash When..... >
  • Is It Still A Stash When.....

• Is It Still A Stash When.....

Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Wonderfully said Debbie! Now if only I could convince my daughter of this!!! LOL
    Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    I gave away most of my stash to local Project Linus groups last year. I only kept fabric that I really have something in mind for, plus nine shoebox-sized plastic boxes of "souveniers".

Is it still a stash? Yes, just a very small one. I can't take it with me anyway, and nobody in my family would want it... so why not let it go to somebody who can use it?

I'm fine with the results.
    OMG! I'd have cardiac arrest! I have around 300 yards and love to play with it. I'm buying less and less now which is a good thing and trying to incorporate the old and new to use up, but still can't resist an awesome sale.
    Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm sure it's tough to downsize like that. I don't think I could mentally go from my current stash down to 200 yards in a short time, but I think I can do it over a 4-5 year period.

I am not destashing. Did that already. Got rid of everything I didn't love to my sister's neighbor (she makes braided rugs). My stash is still huge. All the children's novelties are in a bag to make quilts for hospital auction. The youngest kid in my family is now 6, so I don't really need that stuff around. I don't want to donate any more to charitable use or give it away.

I have to say though, one of the problems I am developing is too many finished quilts (according to my mother). I will actually have to make or buy something to start storing quilts. What a problem to have!
    Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM

I think I am a member of the SABLE club. I am working on destashing it, bbbbuuuuuuttttttt.....
    Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Honestly, I did a lot of shopping while on vacation. I do not need anything for a LONG time. My stash consists of yards and Yards of fabric, over 300 fat quarters, some jelly rolls, layer cakes, batting and backing and not room for more. Oh yes, a drawer full of 2 1/2 inch strips, a drawer of charms and squares, and a drawer of unfinshed projects. I am not going shopping again for a long time. Yesterday I cleaned my closet and had a really had time getting rid of things I knew I was never going to use or give away. I felt guilty but finally go rid of a trash bag full of stuff. It felt good when done.
    Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM

i don't have a big stash. i have purchased some very lovely fabric and i still have some of it but not too much, probably about two bins maybe. i guess i am lucky. most times when i start a quilt, i can find several colors that just blend right together or good enough to make a very pretty quilt top. i just always seem to need muslin and can't seem to keep any of that around. i just don't think the fabric is near the quality it used to be so i am very happy that i have a little extra on hand. i plan to start one of those dear jane quilts soon so i haven't decided on a background color for that. i may just mix it all up and see what it all looks like in different colors.
    Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM

I have a very large stash,way beyond my life expectancy and I love every little inch of it. Sometimes, a moments of pure insanity, I think I have too much. Then I get calm and think of all the wonderful things I want to make with the beautiful fabric. So many friends, so many loved family members that need quilted projects. Silly people, they don't even know they need them. I don't buy fabric anymore unless I need something for sashing and even that isn't necessary. I take regular trash from my DH about the size of my stash and then in the next breath he suggests that his sister would really love to have a lap quilt for the winter. So to each his or her own, I'm happy with my stash and it makes me happy. If beautiful fabric brings happiness how can that be so wrong?
    Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    Debbie, I have been trying to follow your example and remove from my house whatever I know I won't ever use. I have sent lots of stuff off to people who have expressed interest, and it so far hasn't seemed to make a dent!! But I will keep working. I have discovered some wonderful fabric I forgot about while digging through the stacks :D
    Me too!
    Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM

My stash is larger than it needs to be but last week visited 2 quilting friends and their stash is even larger ... and I had 'stash envy'.

I'm considering selling off some of my fabrics too. Many are full or near full bolts that I bought on ebay. So you may see some showing up here, LOL.
    Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    Yes, my stash is too big too. still! i've been making tops to move it along some what. and sold books and patterns, etc. I still have a long way to go but it does feel good to down size a bit!
    I'm slowly using or getting rid of mine as well.