Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a remnant junkie? >

Are you a remnant junkie?

Are you a remnant junkie?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM

The reason I like remnants is that I'm also a "I'll take the rest of the bolt" kinda gal. So this keeps me from bringing home more than I should buy. It basically makes the decision for me about how big of a piece I should get.

Carole
Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by jean1941
They are high here also use to get great buys at Hobby Lobby on them and marked down fabric but never find any anymore and WalMart remnants are out of this world I think just buy them because they are in remnant bin and do not really figure out the price.
Too true. I've picked up a remnant from the WM bin and then did the math and it's not really all that much cheaper...maybe a few cents on the yard and often it'll have a mark or dye problem, I've looked at fleece remnants that had a real pill problem. In fact, I was looking at the remnants there a couple of years ago and the lady working the fabric department said, "You know it's cheaper if you buy it by the yard." !! There are some good deals but you have to look closely and do the math.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM

It is Just a treasure hunt..........we all love treasures.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM

I love remnants too, but I usually only buy the half off ones. Sometimes I will get the 20% off if it's small and something I need.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

When my Wal-Mart had remnants I would always check them out, as well as JoAnn's. Sometimes I have found enough remants to make a baby quilt - you're cutting the fabric apart anyway to piece it together again. I always check out the remnants as sometimes I find some real gems.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM

I love remnants but hate the way my Joann's folds them up and puts the band around them. You can't get a hold of a single layer piece to check the thickness, quality without tearing the band off!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Wagoza
No matter what I am shopping for, no matter how tight my schedule is, I always make time to sort through the remnants at Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Hancock, JoAnns... Most of my stash is remnants and I just love the hunt. I recently found some very colorful remnants from the sew-quick dresses for girls. I just trim off the fitted top and have a very colorful add for a quilt.

What about all of you? Are you remnant junkies?
Yep! :mrgreen: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 AM

I do look at the remnants, but notice that even those are getting more expensive. Even at WalMart they are only about 30% off the regular price.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Guilty!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM

Just a "heads up" for all. At Hobby Lobby, if there are two or less yards on a bolt and you want that in addition to what you were buying, they consider it a remnant, and will sell it for 40% off. I always look for the bolts with the least amt. of fabric on them for a real bargain!