Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a FABRIC JUNKIE???

YES I AM!! I love different colors and textures and decided when I am tempted to increase my stash and I shouldn't I just take a trip to the fabric store to touch and ooh and ahh over new stuff but NOT buy unless for a specific project! My kids think it's crazy to just hang out at the fabric store to "browse," but I love to look and touch! Also certain fabric give me ideas for projects:) Do you do this???

YES I am. but not tall on me. my family already think I nuts.

This, I think, is common among those of us who sew or quilt, lol! We all need our fixes, don't we! I seem to collect fqs, cause I like having just a little of so many different fabrics. If I need more & the price is right, then I buy more, but most often, an fq will do. I love to just go & look too. The quilt show is this weekend here, & I definitely plan to do alot more looking than buying, but the buying is fun too, so am sure I will do a little bit of that also, lol... It's a good thing to be hooked on though, isn't it, considering how much bad stuff there is out there, that so many get hooked on, or addicted to in this life! I will take my addiction any day & am proud of it!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    :oops: yes ! ha ha and don't really have room to be one!

Yes and the best part is there is no rehab for us and that is a good thing.

Yes...my husband asks when I come home from the LQS if I have touched every bolt in the store!

QKO
    Yes, we both are. Sometimes we get into trouble because we go to buying shows where there are thousands of choices, and end up buying way too much!

Yep mee too! I like to just look at fabrics, touch em. But I've learned the hard lesson that I cant have them all. I wish I could understand the need that I have to sew up so many quilts with no place for them to go.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yes and no!!
    Yes I'm a junkie
    No I can't go to a LQS and just touch and look around- my wallet jumps out :D:D
    If I can't buy anything I stay home. I'm really hopeless I guess!

Yep! I am! I like to look and "feel", even if I can't buy. Gotta get my fix somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep mee too! I like to just look at fabrics, touch em. But I've learned the hard lesson that I cant have them all. I wish I could understand the need that I have to sew up so many quilts with no place for them to go.
    I have this problem too, no real place for them to go, but, I have no intention to stop either, lol....

Is that the official name for my addiction??? I wondered what the diagnosis was for my problem!! Anxiously await latest Joann's flyer, check; quiver when I drive past a fabric shop, check; browse through quilt magazines & books endlessly for ideas, check; drool my way through a fabric store, check!!!!! OK, I am officially a FABRIC JUNKIE! And what's more, I am not seeking treatment---so there!

HA!!! You all crack me up! Sitting here laughing at everyone's great responses!! Thanks, guys! I know now, I am not ALONE in this!Lol....

Yes I am definetely a junkie.

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

Yes I am. The first step is realizing you have a problem. The second step is having so many friends who have the same problem!!!

Yes, I am, and proud of it!

OMGoodness YES, I'm having to build a new studio just to house my fabric. Also a machine junkie, theres no help out there for us and I'm happy there isn't, LOL
    Step one I have relized it.
    Step two will you all be my friends? LOL

I didn't think I was until I started cleaning out my sewing closet this morning! I can usually restrain myself, but you wouldn't know it by seeing all this fabric and "accompanying stuff" that I have taken out of this closet. I need help--please don't send any though!!!

I'm with you on this one! I tell my husband that this is better than spending money on alcohol or cigarettes, and that all my time spent on quilting is a better hobby than most,

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely. Whenever I buy new fabric and set it on the seat next to me in the car. I tell myself not to get it out of the bag until I get home. But, I always end up getting it out to pet and feel all the way home. I just can't resist.

Long before I started quilting I would take my MIL to the fabric store. She would come from Sweden to visit, and bring a suitcase which she would fill with fabric and take home (much cheaper here than there). I would browse the fabric stores, helping her pick colors and fabrics, petting, petting all the time. Little did I know that was the beginning of my quilty fancy. It all started with the fabric and it all returns to the fabric for me. I consider myself a MAJOR junkie yet I do not collect massive amounts of stash. I am very restrained in my purchases - I only buy something if it really sings to me, or if I am shopping for a specific project. That does not stop me from going to the fabric store and petting the bolts though! :-D

Blog Entries
    Yep. I am. Love to pet fabric even if I can't afford it.

I used to be but not so much now. When I made clothing I would "run" to the mall just to look at fabric and end up coming home with new patterns and way too much fabric and notions.

That is when a LOT of places carried fabric. In one mall we had JoAnn Fabric, the 5&10, Murphy's carried fabric and so did Penney's. The other mall had Montgomery Wards with fabric, and Woolco(another 5&10)with fabric and then Hill's opened at that location and they had fabric. Plus...there was a Singer store in that mall that sold sewing machines, notion and fabric. All that is left is JoAnn's. The WalMart that opened in that town used to sell fabric but does not now and will not be selling fabric. Then there is one local fabric shop but I have been told that their quilting fabric is very limited.

There went the days of having fun looking at fabric. I do know of a few LQS outside of my local area so I am patiently waiting till my SS money starts rolling in starting in December and I will probably be broke.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast