Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, need some encouragement!! >

Help, need some encouragement!!

Help, need some encouragement!!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 AM
elm

That's a pattern I've never seen before. I can't picture the sashing. What shade of green is it? I wouldn't use black for the squares because I think it would draw your eye away from the butterfly blocks. Do you have any of the fabric from the colored wings left? If so, I wonder about using the soft colors for the squares, or even for the sashing.It's going to be a beautiful quilt. I wonder what you are planning for the quilting pattern?
Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
I didn't get the pictures posted yesterday. DH and I are working on an addition and that took up a lot of time. Anyway, here are some pictures of what I have done so far. The first two are the blocks I finished a couple of years ago. The third block is what I have done since you all encouraged me to get going again.

The butterfly is actually 4 blocks that measure 20"x20" when sewn together. I plan to sash with the green butterfly fabric I found awhile ago. I'm thinking black squares where the sashing meets. What do you think? Any other suggestions? This will be a lap quilt so 4 butterflies should be enough.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 AM

Just get started! Make that first cut! Have fun with it. And post pics! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 AM

The sashing is an apple green.... sort of the same color as the butterfly bodies. I think echo quilting in the butterfly blocks and an overal meander around them. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 AM
elm

Please post pictures as you finish the various stages. I think the apple green sounds nice. Do you create the pattern yourself?
The sashing is an apple green.... sort of the same color as the butterfly bodies. I think echo quilting in the butterfly blocks and an overal meander around them. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM

I didn't create the pattern.... just copied it from a quilt. I actually traced it off the block. I have seen some blocks on the internet that look a lot like it. The fan is like a dresden plate, then applique the background around it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Okay -- hope you get on it soon -- we all want to see it! Which Butterfly Quilt are you doing?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Perhaps you are not quite sure the pattern you picked is what you really want for her or vise versa.. I picked some pretty touqoise fab w/butterflies for my youngest and could not decide what pattern(Oh so many). She said mom make it quick. I did ==I used the Turning 20 pattern with big blocks, made in a day and it looks great.(followed QIAD method for quilting-turning). Tourquoise butterflys and acorns on light brown with another square of darker tourquoise(misspelt). Any way just and idea. Have fun first--
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I'm a slow starter untill I see the deadline looming and then I shift into overdrive. Keep looking at your pattern and fabric. Sometimes I find I'm reluctant to get started because something about the project is bothering me so i study it for awhile untill things come clear. A color isn't just what I want or even the pattern doesn't grab me. Once I figure these thing out I can fly! Stick to it and you will get there and before you know it it will be done.
peace
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Oh! I just saw your pics' This is going to be Beautiful. Keep going!! Your plan is perfect. :thumbup:
Old 08-23-2011, 12:51 AM

I have the fabric. The sewing machine is set up...... Just can't seem to get started on this butterfly lap quilt I'm wanting to make for my great niece..... HELP!! I need some encouragement!!
Set yourself a deadline and get started. Knowing you have a time frame to complete it, may help more than you realize.