Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OMG!  Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!! >

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Try moving the wheel back and forth a few times...there still may be thread caught up in the bobbin area. Good luck!
Yeah, I agree with this one. We used to do that all the time, the threads were wrapped around the bobbin shaft.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Annaleehunter
Originally Posted by LLWinston44
I did clean in the bobbin area, and there was a lot of fuzz, but that didn't seem to change anything. I've blown in any area I could and still. Whatever is wrong seems really really wrong.... the free wheel is very very hard to turn, and really just feels tight and 'stuck'... Now I've got her in the bag and I'm heading up there first thing in the morning. :o(
Do not blow! Suck up with a vac attachment!
Ditto, NEVER blow into the machine. Moisture from your breath can cause lint and fuzzies to stick together even more. Moisture not good for the insides. Always vac. out.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
Sounds like it could be a thread somewhere inside. A machine should be able to sew properly with many different brands of thread, even the cheap stuff. You might not want the cheapies on your work but the machine should adapt anyway.
What I've noticed with my machine is that using the cheaper threads (I bought some online I "thought" was a good deal) and they break very easily. So, I just go with a little better brand that my machine works well with and stick with it. I've also noticed that the cheaper brands tend to create more lint buildup which is why I like Connecting Threads cotton thread -- very low lint and little breakage.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 AM

I get to know what my machine sounds like, and if it sounds a bit off, I remove the throat plate and vacuum all the lint out. Or if I see lint in the bobbin case. If you sew on honey buns or anything with factory pinked edges, do this every day. It really builds up the lint.
Do not use canned air, unless you have vaccuumed first. Or better yet, never use canned air. My 10 year old Janome 10000 is wonderful. (Ten years old this week!!!) Love this machine.
I bought A Viking Sapphire, this year, and I hate it, it is loud, shaky, and sounds like a 20 year old lawn mower. Been back with it to the dealer several times, they tell me this is how they sound. I bought it for the larger sewing area and it now takes up room in my stash closet. Wrong move.

Originally Posted by Cheri_J
When I bought my new machine, the dealer had a maintenance class that she STRONGLY encourage I take. I did learn a lot. Newer machines need to be cleaned after every 10 hours of sewing. We learned how to take the bobbin area apart, clean and reassemble. This class was invaluable. I am going to take it again (it's free) because when I cleaned my machine this past weekend, I had a few questions pop up.

Never ever use canned air to "blow" your machine. You can easily mess something up with the air pressure. I like to use a vaccum to clean out the bobbin area, but was told the sucking pressure could harm something. They suggested putting a straw in the nozzle attachment to reduce the pressure. They said it would still get any of the lint balls out - which it did. Took me all of 15 minutes from start to finish.

I would strongly suggest that you take a maintenance class and learn to clean your machine properly. Then clean it regularly.

Ok, that's my story.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 AM

I use a little computer vaccuum, not the one my DH uses on the floors.
Originally Posted by nhweaver
I get to know what my machine sounds like, and if it sounds a bit off, I remove the throat plate and vacuum all the lint out. Or if I see lint in the bobbin case. If you sew on honey buns or anything with factory pinked edges, do this every day. It really builds up the lint.
Do not use canned air, unless you have vaccuumed first. Or better yet, never use canned air. My 10 year old Janome 10000 is wonderful. (Ten years old this week!!!) Love this machine.
I bought A Viking Sapphire, this year, and I hate it, it is loud, shaky, and sounds like a 20 year old lawn mower. Been back with it to the dealer several times, they tell me this is how they sound. I bought it for the larger sewing area and it now takes up room in my stash closet. Wrong move.

Originally Posted by Cheri_J
When I bought my new machine, the dealer had a maintenance class that she STRONGLY encourage I take. I did learn a lot. Newer machines need to be cleaned after every 10 hours of sewing. We learned how to take the bobbin area apart, clean and reassemble. This class was invaluable. I am going to take it again (it's free) because when I cleaned my machine this past weekend, I had a few questions pop up.

Never ever use canned air to "blow" your machine. You can easily mess something up with the air pressure. I like to use a vaccum to clean out the bobbin area, but was told the sucking pressure could harm something. They suggested putting a straw in the nozzle attachment to reduce the pressure. They said it would still get any of the lint balls out - which it did. Took me all of 15 minutes from start to finish.

I would strongly suggest that you take a maintenance class and learn to clean your machine properly. Then clean it regularly.

Ok, that's my story.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:38 PM

That happened to me last week on my month old Brother Quilt Club and I took off the top plate and cleaned all around the bobbin area and took out the race. Then I turned it off and back on, re threaded it and all is well.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 PM

I had the same thing happen to my Viking and somehow thread got wrapped around the wheel. It would not move an inch. I called the dealer and took it in since he was "in". He took the cover off, he used an allen wrench and there was thread wrapped inside. Charged me 25.00. I was using a 2000 yd spool of thread and the holder didn't like the spool.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM

This happened on my sewing machine and I was sooooo upset. I cleaned the machine really good. (It needed it, but it was still stuck) When my husband got home from work we started taking the sewing machine case off. (Yes, I was very nervous). Before we got the whole casing off the fly wheel started turning. Not sure what we did but my machine started working and I was happy. You might want to try a really good cleaning.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 PM

FYI - the way thread is made now HAS changed. All three generations of sewers before me have used Coats & Clark thread. It used to be good...nice and smooooth. NOT anymore. Their quality has absolutely tanked. It is extra fuzzy - I just got a Bernina and they specifically said NO Coats thread. Only Mettler and blah blah (I blanked out). Don't get me started on the Coats hand quilting thread.
Switch to a good quality thread...don't go cheap, no matter the project. You are spending the time to make something by hand rather than getting it at Stuff-Mart, make it good!
Hope all is well with your baby!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:30 PM

I had my brother 1500d serviced the other week and the repairman showed me how to undo the case to clean it if I've been doing something that creates a lot of lint. He also sold me a can of air because he said it will do a lot less harm than having lint stuck in places we can't see. But never ever blow into the machine with your mouth. He also made the comment about people using cheap thread and cheap needles. If you've paid good money for a machine why would you jeopardise it with cheap thread and needles. Made sense to me.