Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OMG!  Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!! >

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

OMG! Somebody call me the Waaahhhhmbulance!!!!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Do you possibly have thread wrapped around the wheel where you can't see it? Hopefully it's a quick fix, but if not I would hope that your machine is still under warranty being it's only 4 months old. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 AM

I am so sorry to hear about this problem. It is an inconvenience. Hope the fix is simple and not time consuming.
Wouldn't one think that at the price of a sewing machine they could handle most threads? I have 2 Singers and a Berninia (computerized) and they all do well with most any thread as long as they are kept clean and the needle is good.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
OMG I'm just sick!!! My sewing machine (Baby Lock Elizabeth, an infant at just 4ish months old!!) is sick!!!!!

I'm fairly new to sewing and I have no idea what I did other than to use some other thread other than the Aurifil that I've been using.

I went to my LQS to ask what a thread was that was in some hand me down sewing supplies. They said it was what they USED to sell (I can't remember the brand) until they learned how 'not good' it was. I told them I was making baskets and that I didn't want to use the Aurifil on it, being that its so expensive, and they said go for it, try that stuff.

Well, I did. It did seem to be having a hard time "pulling" the thread through, but I thought it was because it was a huge spool and that maybe it was having to pull it harder so I kept trying to set the spool at an easier position.

Then, the basket was done and I was just working on some practice FMQ and suddenly it locked up! I got everything out, redid all the thread, ran it for a second and it did it again. I decided it was the thread, pulled it out, put the Aurifil back in and now it's just locked. Can't even turn the wheel!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOOO upset!! I'll call the dealer tomorrow and hope that it's still under warranty. I'm so so sad!

Besides the issue...... I can't imagine that I'll be UNABLE to sew for who knows how long!!!!!! UGH!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I call my dealer before I take my machine in for service to find out his repair time. Can't be without my babies too long. That's why I have seven machines. They all have a specific purpose. Quilting, embroidery, serger etc...........
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 AM

So sorry about your machine, but I love the waaahhambulance comment; haven't heard that before. I may just have to use it!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Seems as if many are unwilling to pay the price for Aurifil thread. Here's the nitty gritty: the price per yard for Aurifil is close to the price for Coats & Clarks! If my machine likes Aurifil (which she does), I'll feed it to her. No sense in using 99 cent thread with $10/yard fabric on a $2000 machine. MHO.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
OMG I'm just sick!!! My sewing machine (Baby Lock Elizabeth, an infant at just 4ish months old!!) is sick!!!!!

I'm fairly new to sewing and I have no idea what I did other than to use some other thread other than the Aurifil that I've been using.

I went to my LQS to ask what a thread was that was in some hand me down sewing supplies. They said it was what they USED to sell (I can't remember the brand) until they learned how 'not good' it was. I told them I was making baskets and that I didn't want to use the Aurifil on it, being that its so expensive, and they said go for it, try that stuff.

Well, I did. It did seem to be having a hard time "pulling" the thread through, but I thought it was because it was a huge spool and that maybe it was having to pull it harder so I kept trying to set the spool at an easier position.

Then, the basket was done and I was just working on some practice FMQ and suddenly it locked up! I got everything out, redid all the thread, ran it for a second and it did it again. I decided it was the thread, pulled it out, put the Aurifil back in and now it's just locked. Can't even turn the wheel!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOOO upset!! I'll call the dealer tomorrow and hope that it's still under warranty. I'm so so sad!

Besides the issue...... I can't imagine that I'll be UNABLE to sew for who knows how long!!!!!! UGH!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
For crying out loud! I'm sorry your machine is having trouble, but will bet the machine is defective. If a sewing machine is so sensitive that it will only work with one kind of thread, it is too sensitive. I own three machines--a 1940's era Singer, a 1950's era Kenmore, and a Janome 4800 and they frequently sew with thread from my mother's stash, some of which is probably 50 years old.
I hope your machine is under warranty. If I were you, I would consider replacing it. froggyintexas
Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 AM

hope your baby is better real soon but want to share my experience with B/L machines. I have an Esante and love it. Had a Quilter's Choice before upgrading to the Esante.

I've discovered that (at least my machine) likes certain thread and not others. I like Mettler and Gutterman for everyday sewing. I also use Connecting Threads cotton thread for quilting.

My machine sometimes has problem with Gutterman thread (breakage) but never any problems with Mettler. I haven't tried any of the more expensive threads (not in the budget). My B/L dealer recommends Mettler. They use Floriani embroidery threads.

Also, keeping the bobbin area clean is "demanded" by my machine. As soon as the lint builds up a bit, it starts to act up. I typically clean out my bobbin area after every project (or every few days / hours depending on what I'm doing).

Another tip I got from my dealer -- when changing threads, don't pull the thread out from the spool. Snip the thread from the spool and pull out from the needle. This protects the tension disks (they're not meant to deal with backward motion) -- if this makes sense.

Some spools don't like to be pulled off sideways (as most B/L machines are made). I have a separate spool "pole" that I can sit my spool vertical and spool off that way which eliminates some thread problems.

These are great, reliable machines -- as with our other kids, they demand attention.

You have a great machine in B/L - just need to get used to what it wants.

Hope these tips help and your baby is better soon !!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Do you always cut the thread at the spool and pull it through the bottom? I learned that when I bought my embroidery machines...NEVER pull the thread back through to the top to save on thread. It gets fuzz and bits of thread in tension disks and messes it up. Now, even with my old mechanical machines, cut the thread at the top and pull it out the bottom.

I agree, the machine shouldnt be that picky about thread. Several of my machines are Baby and they will do fine with almost any thread.

I would check the bobbin winder to see if it is disengaged. Then take the plate off the bobbin area and clean it all well and look for any tangled threads in there.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM

same thing happened to my machine; had to take it in to get fixed. diagnosis: thread in the take up lever (the part where i couldn't get to). i was told to always cut the thread at the top and pull piece through needle when changing threads. this was my embroidery machine. so all is well now. good luck on your machine.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Wow, you guys are great, and so filled with info!!!! Thank you to all of you!!!!

No, I do not snip and pull, I always pull back but never will again!!! I didn't even think of that, but it makes sense. And now that I think about it, the thread did seem 'tight' when I'd pull it out.

I don't KNOW if the machine is/was sensitive to the thread, it's just that it coincided with this issue, so I'm blaming it on that.

I have 'sort of' kept the bobbin area clean. I did notice a large, hard to get puffball of lint though that was either new, or that I'd missed.

Thanks vickig for fellow BL info. I have totally LOVED this machine until this. It's like butter with a hot knife! I would hate to think there was anything that I couldn't rely on with them!!!

I don't know how to open the top, or even to know whats on the inside, so I'm just going to take it in. If they are there, I will ask to watch what they do. I'm betting they'll have to send it out though.

Well, like others suggested..... I'm going to cut for my next project(s). I have a Bow Tucks to do for my sons Marine Recruiter. (Michael has been in for 2 years, but his recruiter saved him in boot camp when he was wrongly arrested. LONG story, but basically way above and beyond the job description of the recruiting office. I will forever be grateful to him. If he wants a BT, a BT he'll get!!LOL) Then my big quilt project that's ready to cut, but I've been putting off for some 'time'.... Better watch what I wish for! lol

I'll let you know when I know anything! :o)