Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My treadle conversion >

My treadle conversion

My treadle conversion

Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
A while ago I posted about Singer 401G and 411G. I have not modified the machines to accept a leather belt. I'm wondering if you know anything about putting them on a treadle. The sewing machine shop guy wants to modify the balance wheel - he says it needs a heavy old one - they don't just fit on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1202.htm#3520792
and
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-6.htm

I have a Bernina that may be a good candidate for a treadle. It is a 530 with a broken cord acceptor part.
What did you do to adapt?
The only experience I have had is the Bernina line of machines. The hand wheels that I get are made to fit the shaft on Berninas. I don't know about whether they will fit other machines. I would doubt it. but, if you want to convert the Bernina, you could probably do it. The hand wheels are from the Lancaster PA. area and the Amish community thereabouts. They also make the Treadle Mechanisms.
John
How would you ever contact them?
I will see if they can get any of the Brass ones still. they have stopped making them due to the price of brass stock making the wheels to pricy for the mkt. The steel ones are available, if You are interested, and I can find out what they cost and maybe if they will fit the Bernina 530.
I will let you know, and if they will ship things to you. If they won't I could pick one up and then ship it myself, but I don't go up there all the time 40 Mi. one way. so you might have to wait for a bit.
John
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

A while ago I posted about Singer 401G and 411G. I have not modified the machines to accept a leather belt. I'm wondering if you know anything about putting them on a treadle. The sewing machine shop guy wants to modify the balance wheel - he says it needs a heavy old one - they don't just fit on.

and

I have a Bernina that may be a good candidate for a treadle. It is a 530 with a broken cord acceptor part.
The only experience I have had is the Bernina line of machines. The hand wheels that I get are made to fit the shaft on Berninas. I don't know about whether they will fit other machines. I would doubt it. but, if you want to convert the Bernina, you could probably do it. The hand wheels are from the Lancaster PA. area and the Amish community thereabouts. They also make the Treadle Mechanisms.
John
I will see if they can get any of the Brass ones still. they have stopped making them due to the price of brass stock making the wheels to pricy for the mkt. The steel ones are available, if You are interested, and I can find out what they cost and maybe if they will fit the Bernina 530.
I will let you know, and if they will ship things to you. If they won't I could pick one up and then ship it myself, but I don't go up there all the time 40 Mi. one way. so you might have to wait for a bit.
John
I would like to know the cost on either brass or steel with shipping - there should be flat rate shipping. The Bernina 530 I have is the older model and there is no hurry. I wonder if they do Singer 401
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM

and
No, they are made for a Bernina dealer in Lancaster co. Very likely they don't deal in Singer. They are the largest Bernina Dealer in the USA.
John

John
John
I would like to know the cost on either brass or steel with shipping - there should be flat rate shipping. The Bernina 530 I have is the older model and there is no hurry. I wonder if they do Singer 401
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM

and
No, they are made for a Bernina dealer in Lancaster co. Very likely they don't deal in Singer. They are the largest Bernina Dealer in the USA.
John

John
John
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 AM

[quote=Fixedgearhead][quote=miriam][quote=Fixedgearhead][quote=miriam]

USA.
John

I wonder if they do Singer 401
I was just looking at the schematic drawing for the 404 and it shows a gear driven motor. No interior belt driving the motor. So just putting a Hand wheel on the outside, would not do anything for eliminating the drag of that unused motor inside the case that would be dragging on the whole sewing process. You would have to remove the motor from it's position of engagement with the rest of the drive mechanism, to be able to make it belt driven by the hand wheel. That might be a problem of some sort as that motor is positioned to be engaged permanently, to the drive mechanism, and not eliminated by removing an interior drive belt. At least, that is how it looks to me based on the drawings of my straight stitch 404. I am assuming that the 401 is relatedly similar in construction with the addition of the zig-zag feature.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

What I have is a 401g and a 411g. These are not the same as a 401a. They were made to be treadled. I have successfully gotten the 401g into a table with treadle. It shreads the belt. I have seen where I could take a file and gouge some metal off the wheel or off the top. Then I went to the sewing machine shop and the repairman says it needs a different fly wheel to run right. The 401g motor is removed already. I'm going to post some pics here and see if it helps. I really should shoot a couple of it in the treadle.

401A on left 401G on right - The 401G has a knock out on the bottom right. The bobbin winder is on the top. The balance wheel is a bit different. Some people take a file and cut a groove on the balance wheel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255961[/ATTACH]

411G on left and 401A on right. Notice the channel inside where a belt can go. It is to the right and below the shaft. Look at the 411G on the right - Can you see more of the balance wheel than you can on the 401A or 404?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255965[/ATTACH]

The 401A is on the left. The 411G on the right has a hole in the lower left side of the rear. It is a little rectangle - it is the bottom of the channel for the belt to pass through. The 401A does not have this channel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255967[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255955.jpe   attachment-255959.jpe   attachment-255961.jpe  
Old 09-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I shot a couple more pictures. It may be that I have it it wrong or maybe I need a small flat belt for this.

This belt shreads as it goes through the narrow opening in the top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255976[/ATTACH]

Yes, the belt goes around the wheel and down through the shaft and out the bottom under the table. The front is all you can see.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255980[/ATTACH]

Then the balance wheel goes in with the belt over it. Look in the back, can you see an extra step thing on the 401G balance wheel for the belt? Or is it to be cut into the step above? Maybe the place on the machine head above where the belt comes out needs to be enlarged. Anybody out there know?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255984[/ATTACH]

kind of blurry but you can see the belt on the bottom - it's going through the hole in the base. This whole thing bypasses the motor - it could be left in. My motor has a good crack in the plastic so it is going to disappear. I guess the light could work.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255985[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255970.jpe   attachment-255974.jpe   attachment-255978.jpe   attachment-255979.jpe  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I have never seen that machine. I am not that knowledgeable about Singer stuff. Obviously they intended it to be treadled but did not provide a treadle belt grooved hand wheel. There might be something available from the used Singer community. Have you done a search with any of the Singer parts outlets? As to the Bernina 530. I checked and my repair guy said the shaft size on that old of a model is not the same as the shaft on the late model 1008 that they were made for. Sorry but it looks like you are back to square one.
John
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

John, you are so creative! It's awesome!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I have never seen that machine. I am not that knowledgeable about Singer stuff. Obviously they intended it to be treadled but did not provide a treadle belt grooved hand wheel. There might be something available from the used Singer community. Have you done a search with any of the Singer parts outlets? As to the Bernina 530. I checked and my repair guy said the shaft size on that old of a model is not the same as the shaft on the late model 1008 that they were made for. Sorry but it looks like you are back to square one.
John
Thanks for the Bernina info. I'll keep my eyes open on that one.

I got the Singer to work. I put a bushing against the inside of the machine to make a gap for the belt to go in - the belt goes where the step on the balance wheel is. Then I cut a half inch off the belt and I got it to work! I'm pretty jazzed.