Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice to a first-time cat owner >

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 AM

As the human companion to 7 felines, of various ages, including, 2 under 2 years old, I would say that when you go to the shelter to find your feline,tell the staff that you would prefer a senior cat. when you find the one you like, make sure that you pick it up and interact with you. some seniors can be offish at first becuase they have been abandoned/left behind and are a little skittish, but very loving. I work at a shelter as a volunteer adn we had a gentle in his 80's come in a month ago and he wanted a kitten, I didn't think a kitten would be good for him, but he definiely wanted a kitten, and he picked the most anxious he could find, much to my dismay. I told him at that time if the kitten became too much for him, to please bring it back and we would rehome it. He did bring it back last week, and it has been now adopted out with a family with children. Kittens are too, too active, any cat over the age of 5 or 6 are more calmer, and I know that any cat you find will most definitely be a bed sitter/sofa lounger. Good luck with your choice, and please post photo of your new friend when you make up your mind.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Lyn

Fall is the time for upper respiratory problems. Stress of a new home can set it off. All my vets have recommended Lysine to boost their immune systems. You can get it in the vitamin section of most stores. Ask the rescue about it or your vet.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Lyn

Oh yes and thank you for adopting a kitten/cat from a rescue. The rescues are full and we need help with forever homes. You sound like a great adopter.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 AM

When you make your decision, sounds like some lucky fur baby will have a great Mom!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 AM

Lots of love, petting and grooming makes for an excellent pet! I have one who is very vocal and keeps after you till you know what she wants. The other is not vocal at all but love to butt you with his head and is quite an avid hunter. He insists on being outside most of the time but is always on the porch before dark and comes in at night. She (the older one) stays inside most of the time and loves to cuddle.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 AM

I just rescued a 5 wk old kitten in March. She laid on my chest for two weeks at night. Now going on 7 months, she lays on a little bed I made her but still visits in the middle of the night. She's my baby. Do be ready for those little sharp claws. I did have to have mine declawed because I'm in a wheelchair and she uses me to climb to the next level she learned to get to. My poor body looked like a war zone. right now as I'm typing, she's on my shoulder. I think I would get a female because males do tend to spray their territory and even if fixed (and they all should be fixed or spayed) when a female goes into heat, he may want out. As for my sewing, yep pins are something that need to be put away and covered. I have toys all over the house for her to play with, but she likes a balled up piece of paper batting it around on the laminate floors the best. Just like kids. I also have always had dogs, still have two, but she truely is "my baby". At least she thinks she is.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM

So nice to have a pet cat. We have two shelter cats plus our Rosie Peke-a-Poo. Be sure to keep all thread away from your pet. My avid quilter friend had to have surgery done on her kitty as the cat ate a bunch of thread that was out on her sewing table. It was very expensive. My girls will go after my serger thread so I keep a big cover on it when not in use. Some shelters will give older cats to senior citizens in our town. Good luck with your new adventure.
Annie
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Congrats on your decision! I find my cat leaves my thread alone, but tries to steal pins from my pincushion! I now keep all my pins in a box with a secure lid.
One word of caution, cats do tend to rub around your ankles, and could possibly cause you to fall if you are not careful. Try to train him/her not to be underfoot, especially on stairs!
I know you will love having a cat. They are easy to care for and very loving. Mine brings joy to me everyday.
I agree with you, about the stealing pins, and rubbing. Mine also loves to lay on mine especially if I am sewing or ironing. I have a 2 block pad I encourage him to sleep on. Sometimes it works.
When not I stop what I'm doing and give 5-10 min. of quality petting and ear and neck scratching. Then back to work.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Don't forget the cat carrier. Make sure it isn't a cardboard one as they can claw it up trying to get out. I never had any problem with the thread. One of my cats took my spindle though. Look high and low for it and finally had to buy a new one.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM

As a life-long cat-mom, and current slave to 4, I send you kudos for your generosity in adopting an orphan. I have 3 "peanut butter" boys (2 are twins) and a ghost. The best advice I can give you is to buy a Furminator, a comb-like brush which takes out the loose hair. A lifesaver. Enjoy and love your new baby and you will reap benefits a thousand times thousand. Just keep those pins out of sight!