C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn
My husband uses one but my problem is this: He still trys to breathe out of his mouth. It is very irritating.
Maybe he needs a chin strap to keep that from happening. Or a different mask. My DH did the same thing and they found a mask that worked for him.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM

I have the mask that covers my nose and mouth so that if I breathe in/out of my mouth I still have the benefit of the C-PAP.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 PM

you do know there are 3 different masks you can use. I tried the ones that go in your nose and the big one that covers your nose and mouth but didn't like either of them. I use the one that goes over my nose only and like it. I have a bookcase headboard and the unit stays on the shelf and I haven't had any problem with it. Good luck to you.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 PM

I have had mine for over 5yrs now and I can't sleep without it. In fact, I was away one night and couldn't get it to work (long story, but basically my fault) and I felt like I was having a panic attack. It took me exactly 1 night to get used to my machine.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Wow what great suggestions, I have the strap marks left on my cheeks too for a long time the next day. I will definitely visit the C-pap forum...It took me a long time to get used to it but it really helps.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM

As a retired respiratory therapist I encourage all of you and your loved ones to continue finding the best solutions that work for you. I have seen many people over the years that have used Cpap and the difference it makes in your life and most importantly, how it improves your oxygen level.I know it takes time to adjust to the equipment, but getting support and suggestions from each other will definitely make it easier.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:20 PM

DH wear a medium size mask so not onl

DH was told to have his machine below his head. Check with your company.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM

I have slept with a CPAP for over 10 years. The first couple nights it was difficult to get used to. My Dr. who
prescribed the sleep study, etc. wears one also. He thought
from day 'one' I should be feeling so much more rested after
using it. I have never felt like I had a better night's sleep. It is absolutely the opposite. My husband gets up
early, usually I don't wake, but if I do, I pull it off and sleep without it for an hour or two and that is the only
time I feel really rested. My husband feels better!! When
I quit breathing ever 15 to 20 minutes through the night it
would wake him and he couldn't sleep till I started breathing again. I also use a humidifier. I have been
waking with a bunch of 'yuck' in both sides of my nose. Dr.
put me on some antibiotics, and they took a culture from
my nose...nothing wrong there. He ordered a cat scan of my
head last week to check my sinus' everything there is fine.
I know it is from that air going through my nose for hours.
But..I will keep using it, even if it only appears to be
helpful to others. Mine sits on a small stool next tohead
of bed. I can untangle it and put it on in the complete
dark if I need to, I have worn it for sooo long. I refer to
it as "the most uncomfortable thing I own"...Dr. doesn't
like that, but it's truthful.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
What a timely topic this was for me, a one week user of CPAP for the first time! Thank you for starting it.

I have the ResMed S9 Escape™ w/H5i™ Humidifier and I use the Swift FX For Her XS nasal pillow mask. In the Sleep Center I tried a couple different masks and wasn't really good with either. I received the Swift FX nasal pillow when I bought my machine in network locally and find it much more comfortable.
My machine rests on a bench right at bed height at the head of my bed where I can turn it off and on with a hand over my head.

Yes, I still have a some trouble with it....feel like I'm O2 deficient the first few minutes when putting it on; I think I need to adjust the pressure upward a tad, though the Tech said I was ordered for 9 (my chip will tell the Dr. that info in 3 more weeks); I feel like I have to keep adjusting the mask though I probably really don't have to make all these adjustments; I wake up when I feel like turning over and have to move/adjust the hose a few times which makes it harder to go back to sleep; sometimes the exhale and the air bother me; I don't yet really feel like it's doing what it's suppose to as I'm still sleepy when I get up, even after 8-9 hours.

But, interestingly, the Resp. Tech who sold and fitted the machine and mask for me, did tell me that since I've had this disorder for a long time (per Dr.), it probably would take my brain some time to catch up on the idea that help is on the way. She said I might not see the peppy, alert, well-rested affects for a few weeks as my brain learned something new.
Who knows, the idea seems to work to let me off the blame-myself-it-isn't-working treadmill.

Each night is better than the one before and I look forward to a peaceful, loving relationship with my CPAP any week now. Guess I should think of a name for her!

Jan in VA
Hi Jan, the ResMed should have a button that you push when you first turn on the machine. this puts the pressure lower for about 30 min, then it goes to full pressure (which is 10 for me). on mine, it is the 2nd one from the right. ask you respiratory guy. they are so helpful. many of them use CPAP themselves.
I was told to keep the machine lower to the floor. I move around a lot sometimes, that darn thing just follows me.
I still don't quite understand why it works--but it sure does.
keep using it. the first time you take your card in is quite
interesting---just remember to put it back in the machine !
wonder how I know that !
Old 09-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
What a timely topic this was for me, a one week user of CPAP for the first time! Thank you for starting it.

I have the ResMed S9 Escape™ w/H5i™ Humidifier and I use the Swift FX For Her XS nasal pillow mask. In the Sleep Center I tried a couple different masks and wasn't really good with either. I received the Swift FX nasal pillow when I bought my machine in network locally and find it much more comfortable.
My machine rests on a bench right at bed height at the head of my bed where I can turn it off and on with a hand over my head.

Yes, I still have a some trouble with it....feel like I'm O2 deficient the first few minutes when putting it on; I think I need to adjust the pressure upward a tad, though the Tech said I was ordered for 9 (my chip will tell the Dr. that info in 3 more weeks); I feel like I have to keep adjusting the mask though I probably really don't have to make all these adjustments; I wake up when I feel like turning over and have to move/adjust the hose a few times which makes it harder to go back to sleep; sometimes the exhale and the air bother me; I don't yet really feel like it's doing what it's suppose to as I'm still sleepy when I get up, even after 8-9 hours.

But, interestingly, the Resp. Tech who sold and fitted the machine and mask for me, did tell me that since I've had this disorder for a long time (per Dr.), it probably would take my brain some time to catch up on the idea that help is on the way. She said I might not see the peppy, alert, well-rested affects for a few weeks as my brain learned something new.
Who knows, the idea seems to work to let me off the blame-myself-it-isn't-working treadmill.

Each night is better than the one before and I look forward to a peaceful, loving relationship with my CPAP any week now. Guess I should think of a name for her!

Jan in VA
Jan, stick with it. You'll adjust the mask until it's right for you, but still need to do a little adjusting each night when you first put it on. You can't hit the same spot every time. I have had several different masks and when a new one comes out, I try it. I started with the nasal pillows but didn't like them because my nostrils would get irritated. I don't want to try the one that covers the nose and the mouth, think I have a little claustrophobia. I have the mask that just covers the nose now. Please, please work with it until you are comfortable with it. My hose can rotate on my mask which helps with the moving in the night. I keep my machine on the night stand and don't have a problem with the hose. Humidity/heat setting can help with any condensation. All of this is worth your life. I like to tell the guys that they lose brain cells when they don't use it and they can't afford that. :-D