Writing a thank you note

Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM

When my girls were infants and couldn't write, they scribbled or drew a picture and I wrote the thank you note and put the picture in with it.

When they were in grade school they were not allowed to play with the gift until the note was written. They wrote a simple thank you on card and "got to mail it at the post office" which they thought was neat.

When they were in high school they new what was expected of them without even telling them.

They are both married now and always send thank you notes without even being told, even though I always remind them of it and I get a "yeeeess mom", thanks for reminding me.

Neither one have any children yet, but I am sure they will make a big deal out of the issue without me telling them.

By the way, I have gotten many calls telling me what nice and thoughtful notes my daughters have written them.

They continue to make me proud.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:24 PM

AND WHAT ABOUT FUNERAL ARRANG? MY SIS PASSED IN AUG. AT THE VIEWING, THE FUNERAL HOME HAD ALREADY REMOVED THE CARDS, SO WE DIDN'T KNOW WHO SENT WHAT. THE FLORIST HAD NOT INCLUDED A DESCRIPTION, NAME & ADDRESS OF GIVER. IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE NIECES AND NEPHEWS TO SEND A THANK YOU. IS THIS BAD MANNERS OR IDENTITY THEFT PRECAUTION. I WAS UPSET, BUT NOT MY PLACE TO SAY ANYTHING. I JUST WROTE MY OWN TYS TO RELATIVES AND MY FRIENDS AND CHURCH.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Absolutely right on target, Miss Manners! I do believe this whole business of "no one sends thank you notes anymore" (and I have heard this too) is just an excuse for laziness and thoughtlessness.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM

everyone is born a blank piece of paper. what we do is what we're taught -

if you start giving to babies before they're even born and continue in that manner then they simply grow feeling "this is the way it is, I want and I get, I never have to give, not even a thank you."

I have a little neighbor girl, 14, who works on w/es for her mom in her mom's business - off the books, cus shes 14. She is sharp as a tack, she knows the value of everything, has a checking account and mom signed for her debit card. She makes about 100$ every 2 weeks! Her mom told her, because she gets paid she has to pay for her dog's vet appointments, pills, food, and anything else the dog needs, for all her guinea pig's needs, for her shampoo/condtioner, and anything else she wants that her mom doesnt want to buy her (she just bought a real soft fuzzy lime green pillow for her bed cus her mom said it wasnt needed, cost her 10$) -clothes, shoes makeup etc.

When she comes over and sees me, if I give her as much of a glass of water shes all over me with thank yous. She absolutely gets how hard money is to come by and how it can translate into "things", and when someone gives you something they put money thought and time into it, but she learned this - it just didnt jump in her head. Shes never just got things because she wanted them. She has chores around the house and started having them from when she was little. She even gets disgusted with some of her classmates when they get things simply because they think they should have them given to them. She trying to save at least half the money she gets for college. I give her gifts at Christmas, and they give me a few things - shes aways come over Christmas afternoon to tell me thank you personally, and I thank her for being so thoughtful and we have a cup of cocoa. sharet
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Thank you notes etc are sadly being pushed to the side. You should have heard the tongue lashing that went on and on from my mother-in-law when after getting married and moving across country with the army etc we took a whole 2 months to send out thank yous. She was irrate we didn't have them done yesterday. Since all 300 had to be hand written- most of whom were her friends- it took more then pushing a send button.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 PM

I really feel discouraged about some of the young people today...their social manners are non existant, their language apalls me and their feeling of entitlement is shocking. I went to the mall with my DGD a while back and we ate at the food court and while sitting there I overheard several conversations around us and the F*** word was used in almost every sentence!!! I asked my DGD (19) if that was normal and she said "Grams you hear that all the time". I surely must live in the wrong time period.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 PM

That little girl will go far. Perhaps with the downturn of the economy other young ones will begin to appreciate what is given rather than what is expected.
Originally Posted by arimuse
everyone is born a blank piece of paper. what we do is what we're taught -

if you start giving to babies before they're even born and continue in that manner then they simply grow feeling "this is the way it is, I want and I get, I never have to give, not even a thank you."

I have a little neighbor girl, 14, who works on w/es for her mom in her mom's business - off the books, cus shes 14. She is sharp as a tack, she knows the value of everything, has a checking account and mom signed for her debit card. She makes about 100$ every 2 weeks! Her mom told her, because she gets paid she has to pay for her dog's vet appointments, pills, food, and anything else the dog needs, for all her guinea pig's needs, for her shampoo/condtioner, and anything else she wants that her mom doesnt want to buy her (she just bought a real soft fuzzy lime green pillow for her bed cus her mom said it wasnt needed, cost her 10$) -clothes, shoes makeup etc.

When she comes over and sees me, if I give her as much of a glass of water shes all over me with thank yous. She absolutely gets how hard money is to come by and how it can translate into "things", and when someone gives you something they put money thought and time into it, but she learned this - it just didnt jump in her head. Shes never just got things because she wanted them. She has chores around the house and started having them from when she was little. She even gets disgusted with some of her classmates when they get things simply because they think they should have them given to them. She trying to save at least half the money she gets for college. I give her gifts at Christmas, and they give me a few things - shes aways come over Christmas afternoon to tell me thank you personally, and I thank her for being so thoughtful and we have a cup of cocoa. sharet
Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 PM

I am of the "younger generation" and I always send thank you notes!! Even for the littlest things, my family puts great importance on that sort of thing, plus its nice to know that your gift was received and appreciated! I send thank you notes for birthday gifts and cards, christmas gifts, having me over for dinner/to stay, everything! I have friends who do the same thing as well. I think it really depends on how you were raised, I hope that people are not thinking that this is the "thing" for my generation.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 PM

I think 14 is a little young to be having to pay for your own shampoo/conditioner and clothing, to me that falls under a necessity. I can understand if you want somethinc crazy or expensive, but 14 is still a child. There is a reason children can't legally be a part of the work force. I totally support learning the value of a dollar, I babysat/house sat/pet sat at that age to make money here and there for things that I wanted, but I also got the chance to be a kid as well. Not to mention having time to focus on school and homework and such. I hope that this hardworking young lady gets the chance to enjoy being a teenage girl as well.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 AM

(I think 14 is too young to buy her own-)
oh my gosh! I do too! Her mom is divorced and the girl has issues with her dad. She is very close to her mom. She is smart, and a cheerleader, she loves that. She actually loves helping out at the business (restaurant). I'd watched her when she was younger, we always ended up in the kitchen cooking. She loves to cook, but isnt allowed in the kitchen at work, so thats why she likes to come over to my house.
I think this was the way her mom was brought up. (the child is very good with her money - she told me she always uses Suave products cus theyre the cheapest but are the nicest on her hair -99C a bottle -she always shops around -)
I will say, her best subject in school is math, she went to the grocery with me one afternoon so we could get some things to cook, and she grabbed my sales slip on the way to the car and before we left the lot she found a 1.89$ mistake and said, well, I'll just talk w/ the mgr and got out and ran back in and got my money!!
I dont feel bad about her "working", because she gets to be with her mom, otherwise she'd have a babysitter after school all the time, mom works so much. And, the work isnt digging ditches, its clearing tables, filling water, ringing up sometimes, light work - I think her mom gives her money cus she feels guilty more than for work. theres an office away from everything for homework, or to have the tv or computer. sharet