Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting that looks like hand quilting >

Machine quilting that looks like hand quilting

Machine quilting that looks like hand quilting

Old 10-28-2011, 06:56 AM

My Pfaff has a stitch that looks like hand quilted. Uses invisible thread.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 AM

I think the Bernina 440 has a hand-look quilting stitch built in. But I use the technique described by other posters on my 430 and it looks pretty good. It is slower, so I only use it in limited areas.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM

My Pfaff also does a "quilting stitch" You use invisible thread in the bobbin, and regular thread on top. On my pfaff I can program stitches and for the quilting stitch you program one regular stitch (a little longer than you use for piecing) followed by five or six tiny stitches. You finish the programming with a repeat function. With the right tension settings you get a regular stitch with your top thread, then the five tiny stitches that bring the invisible bottom thread to the top, regular stitch, five tiny invisible stitches, etc.

The result looks as if you have spaces between your regular stitching but in reality there are five tiny stitches in between each regular stitch that you can't see. The effect gives it the appearance of hand quilting.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:07 AM

There is a baby lock machine that does it , but cost a lot .also New home memory craft machines or any machine that has saddle stitch will do the same thing with invisible thread in the bobbin I tried it its ok
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Sorry for the double post!.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I have read somewhere that you can use two top threads and one bobbin thread and if you quilt from the back the stitching will look like hand quilting. Do any of you quilters have any info on the technique? Thank you.
Glenn
I think you must have invisible thread in the bobbin. I really don't like to sew with invisible thread......tried it once, and yes it did look like hand quilting, but had a lot of trouble with the thread.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Question please....Okay, I put invisible thread on the top and desired colored thread on the bottom. Now, do I stitch with the reverse side of the quilt up OR do I stitch as I normally would with right-side up? I may have missed this answer so please humor me if I have. Sure want to try this today.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by GGJudy
My Pfaff also does a "quilting stitch" You use invisible thread in the bobbin, and regular thread on top. On my pfaff I can program stitches and for the quilting stitch you program one regular stitch (a little longer than you use for piecing) followed by five or six tiny stitches. You finish the programming with a repeat function. With the right tension settings you get a regular stitch with your top thread, then the five tiny stitches that bring the invisible bottom thread to the top, regular stitch, five tiny invisible stitches, etc.

The result looks as if you have spaces between your regular stitching but in reality there are five tiny stitches in between each regular stitch that you can't see. The effect gives it the appearance of hand quilting.
Thank you! I have a Pfaff 2040. Hope it works for me. I love, love, love this site! May the Quilting Force be with us all! Yolanda Wood River
Old 10-28-2011, 08:10 AM

My Janome can do this. The one I had before this one did too. You do have to use the clear in the bobbin and regular on top. I've never heard of the 2 threads one place and one in the other.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Isnt there a machine that is supposed to have a stitch that looks like a handquilted stitch? I think its pretty spendy.. can remember the name.
Bernina does....it does not quite look like hand quilting, more like Sashiko and only from the front. If I want a hand quilted look, I just do hand quilting...I do own a Bernina with this stitch but seldom use it.