Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many quilters have a cat or two? >

How many quilters have a cat or two?

How many quilters have a cat or two?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM

I have three of my own and do vet duty for my mother's three as well. One of mine is the mother of her three. She took mom and kittens when they were 3 days old. Mom was supposed to go back to her family when the kittens were weaned but by then her family couldn't afford to take her back. So I took her. She's sweet!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Have one cat that adores my quilts....always snuggling up on one of them!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Two cats..... Bazil and Meg
see present avatar.... sleeping on my quilts
Old 10-29-2011, 02:16 PM

One golden retriever, Amber, she's my dream dog - I asked for a dog from the age of 3 to 29 and planned a golden called Amber for about the last 15 years of that. Hubby didn't stand a chance! When I gave up teaching to have Robin I intended to childmind from home and spent a goodly chunk of my maternity pay on my Amber girl.

Then we moved to Sweden and rented a farmhouse ... with mouse droppings and a hole in the cutlery drawer and rats in the stables ....

So we acquired Treacle, brown tabby, and Magpie a black and white Tuxedo. Treacle was absolutely petrified (neighbour snatched him from the golf course, with permission from the humans!, as the slowest kitten who appeared among 30 cats when food was out down) Treacle sat on the windowsill of the tack room and shook for three days, got up on a beam and stuck there, crying, then suddenly decided that we were OK and became a furbaby like the flick of a switch. He is Amber's best pal.

Magpie was born in a farmer's barn and concealed until she and her sister were of a size that the farmer wasn't comfortable with 'dealing with'. Ironically, given her name, she is a horror for hunting birds, and particularly for bringing live birds into the house to show us ... we're getting quite good at chucking her out of a room, opening all the windows and then evacuating to give the bird chance to get out again safely!

We neutered those two, because we really didn't need more cats ... and so a feral cat came and gave birth in between the packing crates stored in the stables. After a while of hearing crying we dug our way in to find a nest of kittens cuddled up to hubby's good quality loudspeakers, packed with cushions around them. Moved them to the tack room - warmer, safe from dog, with straw bales and food and water ... and Mum came and took 4 of the 5 away ... after 24 hours of Shadow crying we brought her inside and she became ours. Mum brought the others back to the stables and then disappeared. So - 2 weeks before I gave birth to Joseph (who was 11 days late) we were bottle feeding 4 week old kittens every three hours day and night, and I was leaking breast milk whilst I bottle fed them! 2 of the 5 survived, which is pretty good for feral kittens and for the state they were in. The male took himself off and we saw him occasionally as a feral on a nearby farm.

Shadow, a grey tabby, and my older son bonded from the very first moment and she is his cat, she is a superhero cat and secretly flies to other planets and saves people's lives ... She's also a very pretty young lady and my quilt inspector!

Shadow gets right in the middle of my sewing, Magpie sits on a nearby cushioned seat and observes, Treacle doesn't appear to have noticed the workd of sewing yet! Probably because there is no food involved! Amber lies nearby and occasionally rolls a ball in my direction with an impatient look on her face!

The animal stories on here were a good part of what got me totally hooked!
Helen

Shadow and Treacle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279054[/ATTACH]

Magpie, Helen and baby Joseph
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279055[/ATTACH]

Amber and tiny Shadow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279058[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279001.jpe   attachment-279002.jpe   attachment-279005.jpe  
Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Make that two more cats, The Wild Thing and Shaggy. Shaggy is the only who "helps" around the house. The Wild Thing is just that - very tempermental.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM

I have never owned a cat. These fur children have always found me and just moved in, and taken over. I have always been owned. Or maybe possessed. My current furson is Paws. Sometimes they bring a friend or a child of their own. I have no say in the matter.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I have three cats. I would be happy to have a cup of coffee that did not have a hair floating in it.

:-(

I love those cats, though...
Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BARES
I have never owned a cat. These fur children have always found me and just moved in, and taken over. I have always been owned. Or maybe possessed. My current furson is Paws. Sometimes they bring a friend or a child of their own. I have no say in the matter.
Such a funny and TRUE post haha- same here :D
Helen, I love your furkids!! (and your human one ) :D
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Four cats here, Maggie, Blu, Betty and Willy. All came to me in various ways and I love them all. Equal time to the doggies, have three of them, Honeybun, Hanna and Abbey, First two are cockers and Abbey is a rotten little fat pug! Abbey was supposed to be my retirement dog, but she promptly became my husbands girl. Oh well, I just added another cat, they like me better than they like my hubby! Oh can't forget the hampster, Bear. He is less work and trouble than all the rest combined. He was supposed to be my grandsons pet last Christmas. Needless to say that lasted for maybe a day! Hubby love that little critter, takes him to bed every night (in his cage of course) so he won't be bugged by the cats that prowl the house after we go to bed. Sometimes I think we are nuts, but each and every one is a blessing! Barb
Old 10-29-2011, 03:26 PM

I have two cats that hang out in the sewing room with me. (my 3rd cat of annthreecats passed away in Aug.).

Sometimes they are totally calm and sometimes they are all in my work and in my face, like this afternoon, Taffy kept laying on my panels that I was FMQing. Crazy cats.