Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!) >
  • When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

• When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM

in my 20s I had a very bad case of pink eye that started the journey. Now in my mid40s and bifocals I find it has been even more of a challange. I can't stand no lined so am constantly doing the moving objects in and out to get in focus as well as tilting my head. when struck with what is beleived to be the sudden onset of severe seasonal allergies this last year I had intense sinus pain especially in the bridge of he nose which preceeded eyes being so dry I couldn't even cry. I couldn't see hardly at all and found myself reliant on drops all day just t see for a few minutes. the eyes are about back to normal on the tearducts but I have found or maybe realized my eyes are not as good as they were. I use a goose neck magnifier for things like taking out stitches and need a jewelers loop in addition to that in order to read needle sizes on the needles. However- perhaps it's due to using brighter lights I still am able to do very detailed painting without much strain on the eys- maybe because it relaxes me in the first place.
    Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 AM

I have always had glasses but the real problems started in my 50s when I was going to the eye doctor every few months trying to get better/clearer glasses. When my vision went double I was diagnosed with Fuchs and the end result is blindness. Had a cornea transplant in one eye (the other only has peripheral) and took an agonizing 18 months to clear and settle. End result is well worth it, but it was a very long frustrating journey. Threw out most of the quilts I kept working on during that time once I could see what I had done to them!!
    Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 AM

I had to argue with my eye doctor to get bifocals. Just wear cheaters, take them off for certain tasks, try contacts. I finally said, Been there, done all of that. I want no line bifocals and nothing else. That worked for years, til cataracts caused their issues. Afte cataract surgery in both eyes, I only need glasses for reading small print. And that was after wearing glasses for 40+ years.
    Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 AM

My eye sight got bad when I was in my 30's. I also have eye floaters that are cobwebs and they will eventually blind me. If I am in the sun I have to wear tinted sun glasses and my regular eye glasses have a light tint.
    Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Don't remember exactly, but my dr said it was unusual for someone at my age to need bifocals. Used the progressives for a while. During last 10 years had to have 2nd pair of glasses for the computer. In early Oct had cataract surgery on right eye. Three weeks later, had surgery on the other eye. Got new prescription last week and will p/u new glasses (progressives) next week. I am hopeful that I will see better than I have for years. Oh yes -- I am 67 now. (Ykikes! I almost have to use the calculator to be sure that number is right. I don't feel nearly that old)
    Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM

I could swear I woke up on my 40th birthday needing reading glasses. It seemed like I went to bed able to see and woke up unable to see to thread a needle or read the paper. I wear one contact lens. One eye is for close up one for distance. It took some getting used to but works well.