Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >
  • Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

• Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
    LDB

What is the price of happiness? Do what makes you happy and throw the receipts out!
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 AM

I don't budget but I do look for only sale fabric and second think about it. I seem to go in streaks of being good and then spending. If it is not on sale I have to really need it and on line does save me money.
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Cap the total? Goodness. I don't count, don't want to. Just buy until I feel guilty and stop. Quilting is my gift to me.
    SandyQuilter
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 AM

I really don't budget but I usually only buy when our local Fabricland has its 1/2 price sales. Obviously you have to buy some things when you need them but any large purchases are only done when they have their sales. I look at it this way, if it brings you satisfaction & enjoyment & you love the hobby - as they say in the TV commercials - the cost is priceless. We all have to be financially responsible so keeping that in mind, as long as you are not going in to debt over your hobby - just enjoy.
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 AM

Ohhhh...this is a fascinating idea by the original poster. I'm eager to see what she divulges.
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Sue...think of it this way....it is cheaper, by far than therapy!
    You said it all!!!
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm on a really tight budget and enjoy the scraps I'm getting from my friend. Ones trash the other ones treasure.
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 AM

I shipped a quilt to my grandson yesterday and asked the clerk to insure it. She said that I would have to prove the materials I had purchased if there was a claim. There is no value to the love that went into that quilt but I did ask for $100 policy. Right now I'm making a queen-sized Farmer's wife for my oldest sons 25th wedding anniversary in May. Again, no value can be placed on the hours spent...it makes the fabric inconsequential. I do try to buy only what fits with what I'm working on and get what I really want without too much consideration of the price.
    Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by char634w
    I don't have a budget, I have a full time job and I buy what I want. Occasionally I feel a little guilty about my fabric stash, or my machines and tools but I have learned to live with the guilt (haha) and enjoy it. Life is so short and quilting makes me so happy and my husband appreciates beautiful quilts and good quality tools so he never says anything. He has always said that it is better to buy the best quality that you can afford so that is what I do. I do shop the sales for the better stuff and that always makes me feel good too. Sometimes I rationalize my purchases and say that I am buying for retirement because I won't have as much money then but I wonder if I am trying to fool myself - doesn't matter because I love everything about it. I could be spending $ on worse vises so I honestly don't feel that guilty. Quilts are beautiful and functional so I think it is all $ well spent regardless of how much.
    This is my philosphy too. If I want to buy fabric or tools or books, I do. Sometimes I go a little overboard, but at other times I am able to walk away from fabric, so I feel like it balances out.

My DH and I have separate checking accounts. We do share the bill-paying, but he gets to spend his extra cash on hunting and all the stuff that goes along with it, and I get to feed my quilting habit. Oh, occasionally I do feel a teensy bit guilty for buying more fabric when I already have a HUGE stash, but that feeling doesn't last long once I take out my fabrics and fondle them for a while!
    Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 AM

I don't budget for quilting, but I try to be careful not to overspend. Quilting is where I spend my cigaret money. I quit smoking when I retired 6 years ago, and I took up quilting. I know I don't spend as much on quilting each month as I would on cigarets if I still smoked. And quilting is healthier, so I'm wa-a-a-a-y ahead of the game!