Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time paper piecer!!! >

first time paper piecer!!!

first time paper piecer!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Very nice. I tried paper piecing once................didn't turn out well at all
Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Your blocks are bright and pretty. I started PPing last winter at this time. I joined two BOM's here. One was houses and the other stars. It snowed here all of January but I didn't mind it cause I was teaching myself to PP. Sometimes I felt like pulling out my hair but I kept at it. I use cheap copier paper and also the June Taylor & Carol Doak thinner papers. When you are away from it for awhile you need to take out the book and refresh your memory. Right now I'm making a wall hanging with house blocks, pine trees and heart blocks. It's in the book 101 Log Cabin Blocks by House of WHite Birches. Good luck and don't give up. It is fun to do.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Great job on your blocks. The first time I did PPing, I used ruled ring binder paper because that's what I had handy. I traced the pattern onto one piece, then layered it on top of 5 more pcs. Stapled them together, and stitched the lines on my sewing machine without thread. Finally did the paperpiecing following the stitched/perforated lines. Worked great to get all the patterns marked this way, and made it easier to remove the paper. The quilt I did was the same pattern as yours - good first time project!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Great job! Don't you just love how the points meet up?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
C.

Hi, I love to paper piece also, and I have just discovered wash away foundation sheets by Collins. There are ten 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets for $12.00. A little pricey but they can put thru the printer etc and than after sewing they will dissolve when washed. Pretty cool.....
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM

I use just plain copy paper. The cheaper the better.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM

I love the colors in your second block. I like paperpiecing and so far I use copy paper although tracing paper does sound good after reading here for the blocks with more pieces. Come to the block of the month section on here if you'd like to follow along. The block for January is a paperpieced pattern called Snowblossums.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 PM

I just use copy paper on mine and it works great. Be sure to shorten your stitches so the paper tears off easily.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Those are pretty!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 PM

I usually buy Velum Paper from the office supply. It comes in sheets and it comes in rolls. If I need more than one copy I take the thread out of my machine and I sew on the lines to make the paper piece. It also comes off easier as well. Make sure you mark which is the right side of the pattern or you will have some reversed pieces.

If you decide to photocopy the pieces make sure that you use the same copier and check to make sure it is lining up on each copy. Sometimes if you make multiple copies it seems to change sizes.