Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale? >
  • Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

• Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Yes, I have been to yard sales with fabric. First it was promoted as that LQS quality. When I got there everything was tied up & priced. They had FQ's, patterns, etc. in bins. It was made very clear there would be no opening the rolls & cutting the fabric. She had had it very cheap. It was about $2.00/ yard. I did post pictures here with what I had gotten. I spoke to them while there. She had offered this to the guilds that she belonged to prior to the yard sales( she had 2 during the spring. Of course I went to both & both days. I wish I lived by you I would be there with bells on. I also used the fabric for the 2011 Christmas gifts I gave this year. good luck
    Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 PM

I was thinkg about a friend who has been a yard slale, people want it cheap 25 cents, not high at all. You may get more at Goodwill, in a tax right off. You can make it 5.00 A yd. whatever.
    The only other thing, as my friend did called it an estate sale, she sold almost everthing. A table for 200., chairs 50.
    each. Couch 200., material box for 20.00, etc. Maybe you could think another name instead of yard sale.
    Great fabric's will be on sale 1/1/12 at the 123 Main st. Good luck!
    Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM

I haven't heard a lot of great things for Craig's list lately so I would be careful. I would check a quilter group/quild. It's a shame you have to more or less give this fabric away. I don't think a yard sale either because I've had them not trying to sell fabric but people want it for nothing and then they go sell it for more. There is a lot of that down here near me. Are there any places that make things that would be willing to purchase some at a time for a decent amt. How about some quilters that do Charity quilts/sewing maybe they might buy some and you can recoup some money and be donating at the same time. It's hard when you pd a bit for the fabric you hate to part with it giving it away. I wish you good luck getting as much as you can. Sue
    Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 PM
    Power Poster

I have been to garage sales where there was quilting fabric. I wouldn't pay more than $3 a yard to take someone else's choices off their hands.

You won't be paying any taxes on it, as you are selling it at a loss.
    Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by kittykatz2001
    Do you know of any quilt guilds in your area? Look for them online. Contact them and ask if they would be interested. If there is more than one guild, ask them all. You could hold a private sale only for quilters. We know the value of fabric. I'm afraid at a yard sale that people would not pay what it's worth.
    I think this is a great idea. Quilters are more likely to pay a fair price. People who don't quilt don't know what good quilt fabric costs. Having said that---Where do you live? My quilting friends and I would love to attend your sale. LOL
    Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM

If you realize that may not be possible then maybe you can set it aside and make it your stash for those in need. So many people are hurting today. Sure you can put a smile on someones face with a nice warn quilt or a wall hanging to brighten a dark room or a stuffen toy for some little kid or a nice bag for some teen/back pack for school. Lots of ideas and you have the material already. Try not to look at the money you spent but the rewards you will get by giving
    Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 PM

I have about 3 fabric sales a year and sell at $3 to $6 a yard for 1st quality quilt fabric. I send a lot of fabric to The Philippines and make a lot of fabric items to send. I use the money for postage and to buy different fabric.
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Actually my friend in the Dalles was going to have a fabric yard sale and sell it for decent prices, not high nor real low either, just fair prices.
    Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM

When was the last time you went to a LQS and found fabric for $4.00 per yard. If I was in your neighborhood, I would stop in. However, if you think you are going to getting $10+ a yard, I think you will be disappointed.
    Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM

I went to one that was being held at the home of a previous store owner. She had bolts and bolts of fabric to sell. She advertised through the large guild here in Sacramento. My neighbor (a fellow guild member) and I got there 1/2 hour early and had to park halfway down the street. If I remember right all fabric was only $2 a yard, so it was selling like hotcakes, needless to say. I bought my share. I personally think if you sold it for $5 a yard, you would have no problem selling it all. Once you start going higher, people get more picky in their choices.

I am thinking of doing a fabric yard sale, too. Let me know if you do have one and how it went and anything ideas you have that makes it go smooth. Good luck.