Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale? >

Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Could you donate it to a group that does charity quilts, and take a tax deduction for the donation? Sweetana3 could probably advise you.Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM

I have had good experiences with fabrics and bad. The most recent one was a bad experience in which the fabric was too costly for what it was worth. I bought some but it had a musty odor after I got it home, I threw it away as I could not use it. I have gotten a great deal at a thrift store with lots of precut squares. Check out the fabrics and stick to a certain price. If too pricey people will walk away.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM

Oh, this is a wonderful idea. I bet they would eat it up and not mind paying more than what the traditional "yard sale" would bring you because they already appreciate the quality of the fabric and your need to de-stash.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM

please pm of where u live maybe i can help you
Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM

You have us all interested! Where do you live? anywhere near Phoenix?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM

This has been a very interesting post to read. Thanks to all who contributed ideas - it gives us all some food for thought about how we might approach "de-stashing". I try to attend garage/estate sales that advertise fabric, etc. They tend to be hit or miss on the quality of the fabric. In NE Kansas, seems like the going prices have been $2-$3 for good quality fabric. One sold LGS fabrics for $2 per pound. Good luck in your efforts!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Default Fabric on Consignment

In my store, we take fabric on consignment provided it's over one yard and as it is sold, we pay the former owner of the fabric. If you want more info on this program, send me an email at [email protected] or call the store at 909 592-9571.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quilt guilds have shows. See if you can set up at one of those. Who knows, maybe this will becomes a trend for other quilters to follow. I had set up at a yard sale 2 years ago and got some wonderful people in to buy. But, also got in some very rude and crude people. "I can get this cheaper at Wal-mart's". And other such comments. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM

you can take a tax deduction if it is a non profit group and you have a receipt for the item with a value on it
Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM

When my mother passes away I had a lot of her fabric in a yard sale. It broke my heart at some of the offers that I got for the fabric. One lady was upset that I was charging more than a dollar a yard for the stuff. At which point I closed the sale and donated the fabric to several churches with outrech programs and wrote the loss off my taxes. And it made me fell better. About a month later the lady that was upset by what I wanted for the fabric came by the house and wanted to pay what I had been asking.