Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale? >

Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

Have you ever held (or been to) a fabric yard sale?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM

In my area having a yard sale ... will mean rock bottom prices and negotiating. I think if you can find a way to get the word out to serious quilters in your area for a private sale , you will have a better chance of getting the success you want.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:09 PM

I just went to a fabric of a fabric hoarder who had just passed away. She (believe it or not) had over 4,000 yards of fabric in the sale. All fabrics were LWS quality and the fabric sold for $4.00/yd. It was sold by the piece, not by the yard. Many were multiple yd. pieces. Fat qtrs went for $1.00 ea. It was a great sale and seems that everyone won!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 PM

My sil and I went to a sale where she advertised quilters yard sale. Bought some nice fabric, went the first time by myself went to my sil house showed her and we went back. Found out next day 50% off. Bought more that day due to being worried it wouldn't be there the next day, was there when she opened the next day and bought another 30 dollars worth. She had it bagged labeled the yardage, priced. It was easy to go thru everything
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM

I have had, with friends a quilters fabric garage sale. We did it for the last 2 years. I really don't think that $4 a yard is too much to sell this way. We all had quilt shop quality fabric and had different prices on stuff. Of course, the cheaper stuff went first, but we all just about sold out. Just advertise accordingly. Good luck. I sold lots of fabric, and glad I did.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Definitely sell it on QB first - with the price of fabric now it would be great for the members. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM

I've gone to 3 quilt fabric yard sales. One was in a garage set-up to look like a store, the other 2 were just tables of fabric. At the garage set-up with quality fabric, everything was $4.00 a yard. The other 2 yard sales, fabric was selling for $3.00 a yard. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM

If you are in a hurry to sell, why not pull on the reins and hold up and rent a storage facility and store fabric in study plastic garbage cans with one fabric dryer sheet new or used once included and then plan your stratagey for selling when you aren't under pressure. You may make more if you created quilts for sale out of some of the fabric. Good Luck Illsa
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM

What about listing here with 3 types, 2 yd ea, total of 6 yards for $24-$36 plus $4.95 shipping. That is still a great deal for quilt shop fabric. If it is not brand name you could sell it for less.

If you sell it rather than yard sale what about "Quilter's Fabric Clearance" People love clearance sales.

Last edited by jmabby; 01-16-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 AM

sell it here! I went to a sale that was held by a former LQS owner...tons of fabric all at $3 per yard. She sold a lot but said the sale was poorly attended. I would think now would be a great time for a sale as there are not many available this time of year but I would state in an ad...price per yard and mention it was QS quality which was much more costly at time of purchase. Still think best is right here!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 AM

I've been to a few sales where people were destashing large quantities of good fabric, and they sold it by the pound. No measuring, no cutting smaller pieces (unless you want to). Depending on what you set your price per pound, that will indicate what you get per yard. Try weighing one yard, two, etc., and then weigh one pound, two, etc., and count the yardage. You should be able to come up with a price that works for you, and no one ever bickered at the sales I went to...