Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! >
  • Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

• Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM

I have a Janome Jem, even though you're 14 I think you're past that machine. I think a used 6600 could fill your needs now and in the future as you progress. GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how you did.
    Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 AM

I have a Bernina and Janome. For the money, I went with the Janome. I just love the Janome. I got the Professional Memory Craft 6300. And I got a lot of accessories with this machine that I had to buy extra with the Bernina. To me, it sews better and is more quiet than the Bernina. But again, I have both. You really couldn't go wrong with either one. Good luck in your purchase! ~~Ann~~
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper
    A good used Bernina will last you forever. Check with a local dealer. I have three of their machines after owning a Kenmore forever. Will never buy anything but a Bernina. Good luck!
    I will never buy anything but a Bernina, also. I would by far rather have a used Bernina than any other new machine.
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 AM

you will be getting recommendations for both brands.People usually speak from personal experience about machines they own or have owned.I own a Bernina that I bought USED in 1986 and she is still purring.They are very dependable and well made.
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Happinessbears, like Candace I have both and love them and she's saying exactly what I would. With that said, if you can go to a dealer, with must have wants and price point in hand, and try out those various models. See which one you like and "fits". Good luck! Ps I just gave my niece one of my older janomes - a DC3050, which is a fabulous machine!
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 AM

I have both a Bernina 820 which retails here in Canada for almost $9,000. so that's out of your price range, even if it's cheaper in the States. I also have a Juki & it is a work horse. It only sews straight stitches but has a big harp area for quilting & I love my Juki. The Bernina is quality throughout, no plastic parts here, so if you could get one that is a demo machine or a trade in, I would highly recommend that. Janome is also a machine with a good reputation but there is a lot of plastic in them. You need to find a good dealer with a good reputation & then check out what they have. Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up with.
    Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 AM

DEFINITELY look at used. And although it wasn't mentioned, you may want to check out some of the mid arm machines. They come with all kinds of feet and stitching but because they are also made for quilting, they have the auto thread cutter (which to me is a MUST), much faster stitching and a wider harp. I have a BabyLok Quilter's Pro which new was $1000, but I gotta beleive there are used ones out there.
    Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 AM

I have a Bernine (trade in from my older machine) and found a used one at that!. I love it and have had it since January, 1999. They do have a good payment plan. I had a year with no interest and paid it off as I could. My machine is a model 170. I have added a couple of attachments over the years when on sale. Get a good salesperson to show you and watch for sales. The person who traded her machine for a more fancier one so I lucked out! Nothing wrong with it and still had full guarentee. I have sewed for many, many years and love my Bernina!
    Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 AM

I see everyone is recommending Janome but I have had a Bernina for 26 years and it has been in the shop one time.
    Still using is almost every day for quilting, home interior, clothing - whatever. I do both piecing and FMQ on it.
    I know the Janome is a good machine too but I can't say anything bad about Bernina. I absolutely love it!
    Old 06-28-2012, 04:10 AM

I'm with Candaace get the Janome it will be a good machine then later upgrade I have a Berminia which I love but the price is not cheep,I've went through a lot of brand when I was younger,my first machine was a Western Auto which I sewed on for years. Hope you find a machine and Happy sewing