Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!! >

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 AM

Happiness Bears-
Congratulations on your decision to buy a machine. It's wonderful that you have discovered how exciting sewing can be

I can tell by your post that you will end up with a great machine. Each of us has preferences and that's what will matter to you- your preferences

I have a Bernina and a Brother. The Bernina is a small machine, great for taking to classes. When I was in the market for something bigger, I had a large Bernina in mind. While I visited my dealer, I tried that machine, then a Janome and then the Brother. I fell in love with the Brother.

I tell you all this not to suggest any machine but to agree with those that have suggested that you try different machines, check on used machines and get a feel for what you would like to be sewing on for many years. I had never considered a Brother before trying the one I ended up with. You might find what you like just by trying as many as you can. I also agree that a good dealer, close by, that can service your machine is very important.

Whatever you choose, let us know, post photos of it and your projects. Have a great time choosing your machine and then stitching away.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM

If you can visit a Bernina shop and a Janome shop - then do it! Try out their machines. See what reconditioned machines they have that might fit your price range. Don't take our word for it, try them out yourself.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM

I'm a Janome user and love all mine. I see that there are many models that are reasonably priced. I do recommend getting one with the needle up/down feature. To me that is a must have Also, not a small machine, sounds like youi need more room in the harp space. Good luck in choosing a machine and I think it's wonderful that you are such a seamstress at your age. Your family must be proud of you!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM

I agree with alleyoop1. Find the dealers, try out all the various machines in your price range. Take your own fabric to the shop to try out on--they usually use a stiff starched kind that may not show you what the sewing is like on a fabric you may use. Plan on spending some time trying them out but it really does count. Be sure they offer repair services and maybe they even offer classes. I prefer the Janome's but Bernina is great too but more expensive. Take your time and really enjoy.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 AM

Sounds like you have gotten a bunch of good advice. I love Bernina's too, but I could not have afforded one if one was not given to me by a friend.

Just wanted to show you this auction on ebay. I've never seen this model of Bernina before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FuNkY-retro-...item4604ff313b
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 AM

I have a Bernina and a Janome also. For the money you have to spend I would go with the Janome, mine is a 3050DC and I love it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 AM

I have Juki and Janome. Never had a Bernina as only a few people I know have one. They aren't too happy with them either but the cost keeps them with their machines.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm a big lover of Vikings; old and new ones but if I was to chose from Bernias or Janome it would be with the Janome hands down. I've always like them plus the fact that I don't care for the Bernia dealer that we have here. If you are dealing with a dealer you need to consider that as well and really should try several machines to see what is a good fit for you. I'm so glad that I went with the viking. Do not go for bernette, it is not a bernina and they don't support it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM

Definitely a Janome! I bought my daughter one and want one myself!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM

My Janome Platinum has been a real workhorse. I have four Janomes and bought my granddaughter one for Christmas--so you can tell i'm a big fan! I take my Platinum with me everywhere, especially to my bee friends' homes. it has lots of neat stitches and an easy buttonhole, but, more important, some good features (like needle-down) that the Jem doesn't. I've had mine a few years so maybe you can find a good used one. (I keep the Jem for occasions when a bee member at my house needs to borrow one for whatever reason. It is really good small machine.)