Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM

There are so many things which have been said or could be said on this subject - both from the aspect of the student and that of the instructor. I too have taken many classes and I believe the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered was an instructor who was not prepared - we sat and waited until she made hand-written changes on the directions for us - that took approx. 1/2 hr. The next most frustrating thing is students who are not prepared. Get your instructions ahead of time, cut out your fabric, have things organized and bring the foot pedal and power cord for your machine! I have found it best to look at the work of the instructor, if the shop has samples. Ask other quilters if they have ever taken a class from the instructor and see what they have to say. If something "extra" pops up during the class that was not part of the original project, then don't feel obligated to participate - especially if it is something you don't want to do. Ask questions during the class - it is OK to ask for help - that is why the instructor is there. Please don't give up - you will find "THE" class for you and as others have said - check online - many YouTube videos with excellent instructors and directions....but there are some not so good also.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM

When I used to teach classes, I made sure that everyone left with a completed project. I let them use my tools, rulers, mats, etc., so they were not out more than the cost of the fabric. They were able to see which brand of cutters they liked, which mats they liked, which ruler worked best for them, etc. Then they could go out and purchase what they wanted or liked. I have bought expensive tools listed in the class requirements and never used them. Not everyone can teach and I tried to make sure to anticipate questions that might arise. I, too, have had some super teachers and some not so super teachers. One does have to speak up, but the directions for the classes must be clear. KNOW how to thread your machine before you hit the door; don't expect the teacher to educate you in the rudiments of machine piecing, etc. Don't blame the teacher if you haven't done your part before you get there.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Fundamental quilting

As a teacher, I have followed this thread with interest. I have always taught something (dancing, dog training, quilting, etc.), and I know that not everyone who can DO something is able to TEACH it. Like the rest of you, throughout life I have experienced both good and not so good teachers. I currently teach quilting at the local community college. Some classes are 8 weeks, meeting once each week. Some are all day single workshops. All of my classes are hands-on, meaning you will make something in the class and have something to show for it.

Some of the classes are project oriented, and some are technique oriented. Either way, we jump right into whatever it is, and if someone needs to know how to use a rotary cutter, then I take the time to show that person what she needs to know. While my classes are designed for beginners, some people are more experienced beginners than others. I would hate to think that someone went away from one of my classes feeling that she had not received the attention and instruction she deserved.

As for purchases, I usually have items for sale, and this is more for the convenience of the students. I never require that my students purchase anything from me. Supply lists are available before class, and students may contact me beforehand with any questions they have.

Our classes are relaxed in atmosphere, and there is often chatter and laughter. I encourage questions and am happy to regale the ladies with stories of my grand mistakes. I'd be very surprised if someone came up with a mistake that I have not already made. There would probably be a prize for that!

I like to say that I teach FUNdamental quilting; it's got to be fun if we're going to take the time to do it.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 AM

I agree with jodiemarie. There are so many websites that are very helpful. I've learned a lot by watching them.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM

I teach in my home. I found this thread very helpful. I teach techniques. Some of my students want to learn something every week. Some want to make the same thing several times. I encourage them to make new things or at least tweak the pattern so they are learning new techniques. Some of my ladies have been coming for 6 years. I asked one day if she felt the need to keep coming back. She said she was still learning. Recently I did a class just on boarders. Soon I will do one on bindings. I made a take home informational binder on binding for my students. I also own a HQ16 so my students can finished their quilts. I have students on every level. I have one that gets discouraged and "hates to bother me" so she will ask other people "how to"......... I've encouraged her to always call me, if she is bothering me on that particular day I will call her back. I respect my students time and money and encourage them to do sewing at home. Some will some won't.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 AM

One of the local quilt shops asked me if I would be interested in teaching at her shop. I was floored and flattered! I did tell her that I might be interested in teaching a beginner piecing class. (I do not "quilt") she said that I would be compensated by keeping whatever fee I charged for the class. We are going to talk soon. I was humbled at her offer.

great, constructive info on this topic. Keep'em coming.

Sandy
Old 01-05-2014, 02:11 PM

I took one class that I considered essential. It was paper piecing. I had bought several books of patterns using that technique, but I couldn't figure it out on my own. The LQS had some required equipment (small cutting board and rotary cutter, plus add an eighth ruler), and required us to buy a pattern that interested us, plus the fabric needed. they strongly suggested that we buy the pattern and fabric from them and offered a 10% discount. The instructor started with a small sample block - a triangle pine tree with stem. After we finished with that, she helped us with the pattern that we had chosen. I didn't finish my project, but I did learn the technique, so I was able to finish it on my own without a problem.

OTOH, my sewing machine dealer is different. I bought an expensive machine. It came with a few classes, which I took. Then about a year later, I needed to make a buttonhole. I couldn't figure out how to do it, it was totally different from my last machine. I went it and asked the owner to show me how to do a buttonhole again. He wanted me to sign up an pay for additional classes, but finally relented and showed me how to do it. And in the mean time, I had taken both of my machines to him to repair/adjust. The dealer also has clubs where you pay a fee, and apparently are required to buy new embroidery patterns each month on top of that. I did take a fairly expensive class ($50) from them later, only to find out that on top of the class fee we were required to buy the pattern that was the subject of the class (I had expected it to be included in the expensive class fee), and they didn't even have it in stock.

Our quilt guild offers some classes, some taught by a guild member and some taught by an outside teacher, often the speaker for the monthly meeting. The fees are fairly low, and it's more of an excuse to get together and snack. One was lone star in a day, and I almost had the lone star center completed in the 6 hr class. One was on a new curvy ruler. Several used commercial patterns, and the fee was structured to include the pattern. Sometimes we'll get together to make something to sell at our quilt show.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM

As a former crafts teacher for children, usually in a camp type setting, I can tell you that no matter what the project or the age of the participants, there are always those who could do two in the amount of time it takes the majority to do one of whatever it is, and also usually one or two who just don't finish in the allotted time. I would try to get my speed demons to help the slower ones, but that did not always work well especially with preteens!

Have not taken or taught any quilting classes, so can't address the issue you encountered.

It would seem that you must have been in classes that they did not indicate the experience level for the project &/or the desired outcome for the students.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 PM

I have been quilting a long time but I thought I would take some classes to learn something new. I took the class to turn a sweatshirt into a jacket. She said she would cut it so it would fit in the end. I am big in the chest area and I was anxious to do this because I love jackets. Well, halfway thru the 6 hr. class when I tried it on, it did not fit, it would not close in front unless I added more sweatshirt, which I did not have. It is still not finished and I plan to rip it all apart and use the fabric to make a good jacket for me. I tailored jackets for years but I cannot fit myself but I will do this for me one way or another. The fabric is beautiful and I love it. So I will consider classes but I will chose more wisely.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 PM

In answer to your question...I think so if the class has several sessions.

I'd guess that most of the time, you may not have time during a one-session class to finish it up. Plus, I'm the type that likes to sew by myself--not having a constant inspection going on all the time. I'd rather take it home and finish it - and just ask if there are questions...or watch and practice at home, by myself.

However, if the class meets several times, then probably, yes, I'd hope/expect to to finish up with something useful to take home.