Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • problem >
  • problem

• problem

Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM

I have 2 banquet tables that fold in the middle. Works for me. I'm with you ,can't get down and up off floor too well.
    Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 AM

I used my pretty wood dining table to pin my quilt with curved safety pins, and was horrified to see that I had scratched through the white paint. I thought I was being very careful; glad I didn’t use the tables at the library or community center.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Hi, I have a large extendable dining table but do not want to damage it so my lovely husband cut a piece of ply wood to fit.I tuck the edges of the backing fabric under it to hold the fabric tight. you can also spray bast then or pin and tack.Something else to do is to use trestle tables at your church or community centre, a plus to that is that there is often someone to give you a hand with the tacking !I too find dealing with a large quilt almost impossible,I am waiting to see if surgery can help with spinal problems.I now make prem quilts to keep my love going,I dread the fact that I may not be able to continue with this lovely craft. Love to all and thank you all for great ideas that just keep coming.Love Letty
    Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM

I use my king size bed, have also used a queen size bed. I dont use basting spray as I think it is easier to safety pin. I start at the bottom of the quilt pinning, then I can work my way up.
    Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    When I don't want to get in the floor, I use my big dining room table. That table serves as everything. We eat on it when we have company. I cut all my fabric on it. Sometimes I sandwich my quilts on it. I pay bills on it. What would I do without it? heheeh!
    This made me chuckle. I use mine too like this and have to clear it when company comes.
    Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM

I use safety pins to mount the quilt backing up onto a large flat old king-sized sheet that has been thumbtacked onto a large blank wall, then spray-baste, then layer the batting, spray-baste the batting and then layer the top, making sure that each layer is smooth. The process if very fast, the sheet catches the overspray, the quilt is perfectly smooth and quilting is a breeze with no shifting or wrinkling. A step stool is handy for reaching the top if you are short like me. The basting spray does not jam up my machine or needle and has never caused me any problems since it is a temporary adhesive and washes out. I will never go back to doing it the hard way!
    Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 AM

I use tables at my church, with bed risers to make them the right heighth.
    Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM

I place one of those cardboard mats on my queen size bed which has risers on the feet. I can then baste on my bed without worries of basting my new quilt to the bedclothes underneath. If I get tired I use my garden stool that has wheels on it and scoot along the side of the bed, pulling the quilt towards me as I go. When I'm about 1/2 way and move around to the other side and do it again.
    Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 PM

I volunteer at the local free library in our little town. Luckily there is one really nice table that I can use on the days I am there. Otherwise it is my bed or the floor.
    Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 PM

I can take my quilts in to my church fellowship room on the days we do the charity quilting for World Relief Projects. The ladies are always willing to help lay out, smooth, clamp and then tie the quilts. Then we can finish the edges the way we like.: zig-zag, bind, or whatever. It doesn't take long, my fellow quilter friends are always willing to help, and we have fun while doing this.