Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread >

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

There are no quilt police...how many of you don't care what color thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 AM

Oh my goodness... I'm so glad I checked out this thread (sorry, no pun intended!!)... I've always tried to match, but that certainly must come from sewing clothes before learning the joy of quilting!! I will never again (that's a promise) think for more than 2 seconds about what color thread I'm using!!! sheesh!! I shoulda thought of that!!!!

My sister bought fabric and thread for a little project I completed for her and she sent Aurofil in a pretty light-brown-with-a-hint-of-gold-ish color... I've been using it on everything, now! Really love that thread!
And DiamondDee, thank you for the great hint about using charcoal gray with black!!

Thanks everyone, for your wonderful responses to this post!!!!! This is one of those this-changes-everything moments!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I try to match a color from the piece I am working on .. and usually there is a bobbin filled with that color in my bobbin holder. But my main go to is grey or beige as I always have a bobbin filled with those colors.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 AM

I use white, black or a neutral color. Need to use up some of the other thread I have though!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM

I use up what I have also - trying to get to the point where I only use neutral colors. I use up weird colors (from sewing clothing) when I practice my quilting.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by glassdriller View Post
I use to use what ever was handy. Now I go out of my way to load up 6-10 bobbins with off white and 6-10 with darker thread. The top thread I always use a different color than the bobbin. This way when I have to do some 'un-sewing' I can tell which thread is which.
I just did that two-color thing by accident because I was using up various neutrals, and when it comes to seam-ripping on a print fabric it gives you a choice - often one thread will be harder to see than the other!

I do try to stick to neutrals in the color zone so that it won't stick out like a sore thumb if there is a piecing 'issue'.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM

Definitely for bobbins, I am less picky for piecing.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM

ditto....I've had the exact same issue as yourself....I even bought another 10 bobbins when the bulb went off....so I used up ALL my bobbin threads and I don't care what color is in the inside of the quilts. I'm also not gonna care when I make my son a shirt, but I will only use in areas like the inside of the collar and the back yoke. I do, however, use light threads on light fabric and the darker colors on darker material...otherwise---it's all good!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM

I use whatever is nearest the machine when I need to sew or refill bobbins.
I do coordinate when quilting the seeable part.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Agree with you Teeler
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM

I grew up learning to sew clothes and had the mind set of matching thread to fabric. Now that I'm an obsessive quilter, I'm trying to change that to light or dark thread. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks but I'm working on that. I inherited all my mothers thread (some on wooden spools) so am trying to use all that up.