Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Ok I'm convinced--Mama is breaking out the quilts!! You are SO right, what good are they if they are stashed in the closet? No memories there. Thanks for the posts and the lovely poem AMH had in her post.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM

I put a selections of lap quilts in my car. A group of friends all were quilters had very different views about sitting on then it was very amusing. My dogs love the quilts and are very good when I tell them that's mine keep off.
A ,quilt somebody said on here is a hug if they are not out and being used they are not giving hugs.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Why bother quilting if you are not going to use them. Find a different hobby, one where the item you have made is put behind glass and never touched. Collecting bugs or something. If you make a quilt, why in the world would you put it in a closet and never use it. Have you ever been to a garage sale where someone's quilts are being sold for a few bucks. It's obvious that the quilts were never used and now they were being practically given away. If having a spot on a quilt will stress you out and it's the only thing you have to worry about, you're lucky. The one thing I have learned after being disabled,is to not sweat the small stuff. And worrying about if a quilt gets a spot is small stuff. I used to work for the USPS and at the time I would have customer's get very irate because the newspaper didn't make the truck before it delivered mail to all the Post Office's on the route. The newspaper company would drive their paper to the distributin center and sometimes they just didn't get there in time to make the truck.So, no paper that day. Oh, boy, some customers would call the office and shout at me because their paper did not come in their mail. At the same time, my Dad had had a stroke and my Mom had breast cancer. Believe me, there were times I felt like saying,Do you know how lucky you are that the only thimg you have to be upset about, is the fact the the newspaper did not come that day. I never said it, but, I sure felt like it. Use your quilts. If a quilt gets a spot on it, wash it. If it fades with time, so be it. Make another. Please don't make your quilts, and then put them away until you die and then your quilts will be sold for pennies at a garage sale. Enjoy them! Isn't that what you made them for? To be used and enjoyed?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

i'm sorry you feel this way about your quilts---did you make them to fill empty linen closet shelves? I make quilts to be used and use them---my granddaughters take their favorite quilts to the beach- on picnics, in the car- to sleep overs---if they go chances are a quilt goes with them- we make quilts to be used---I do not understand making a bed sized quilt to hide away- if something gets spilled on a quilt-I wash it- if it starts wearing out- I make a new one- I guess if I didn't want a quilt to be used I would make a wall hanging....are the quilts you make heirloom/museum quality master pieces that should be in a museum? even the quilts I've made that were appraised for $4000 are on beds being used- I guess if I had one worth a hundred thousand or something I would not want the kids playing on it- but then I still wouldn't stick it away in a linen closet- I would send it to a show- or museum where people could see it---sorry- I just do not understand --- don't mean to sound....crabby
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Of course!!! That is what they are for. You should enjoy what you put so many hrs. into making and if they show use, so what.....they were loved.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM

When my mom was ill, she asked each of us six kids what was one thing we would like to have from her house before she passed away. Well....I have the one and only quilt she made from scraps of fabric from hers, my sister's and my dresses/skirts, etc. We use to lie across her bed and pick out all our clothes....that was such fun. I had one brother that got upset that I chose the quilt. I asked him to show me the fabric that mom used to make him a dress....he never said another word. The memories of the quilt being on Mom's bed was great!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I use all my quilts. I just make sure to not lay on them. If you lay on them, you can split the seams easily.
I have never, in all my years, heard this. We totally abuse our quilts--lay on and under, and on top and wrap them, and make beds on the floor, and use for picnics...if I couldn't use my quilts, I wouldn't make them. I'd just buy blankets!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Don't save them. Use them and enjoy! That's what they're for. You can always make more. I use all of my quilts and my children and grandchildren use and love theirs. Life is short so enjoy your talents.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Send them to Moore, OKlahoma and you can quit worrying should they be used...I expect they would be cherished.