Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I did not realize that I was following a dress code >

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 AM

Red Garnet,
I'm glad you have also found that happy medium between "People of Walmart" and "fashion plate". I have worked all my life and always liked dressing up - not that I put on high uncomfortable heels every day, but when I'm 'fine-tuned' I honestly believe I carry myself differently and feel good about myself. This past year I have lost a great deal of weight and 5 dress/pant sizes. Dressing nicely does not mean you have to be uncomfortable....I, too, wear floaty summer skirts and pretty tank tops with sandals, skinny jeans and soft 'butterfly style' chiffon tunics. Turning 60 last summer, I made a commitment to continue to maintain a standard for myself and being able to hike/zip line/kayak and keep up with my very active family is paramount in my quest for continued good health and many happy retirement years. My husband, like yours, still works and every night comes home with a smile for his 'high school sweetheart'. I love your line "I will not have him come home to a slob." No matter how many years we've been together, I will never stop 'gussying up' for him (and for myself)!! I'm worth the effort!!
Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I guess everyone has a dress code they wear around the house and one for shopping/out and about ... right? I love to wear skorts or skirts around during the summertime. I do wear shorts or beachcombers too, but skirts at a shorts length are cooler and allow for more air flow ... LOL! I garden and I get very hot out there sometimes.

The jeans they have out now are great! They stretch and don't cut you in two like the older ones did. I love Gloria Vanderbuilt, they just fit right and have great colors! I love that they brought back colored jeans and shorts.

I love that they brought back the maxi summer dresses and little shrugs too. They are modest enough to wear to weddings and to a dress up affair. They are very cool and comfortable girls and easy to wear around the house too when they are that gauze material.

Flip flops are an easy throw on and work for me around the house. Or maybe just a short sport sock or footie. I have found that a kitten shoe height is about all I can stand anymore. They are cute and look a little more dressy than flats.

My hubby still works and he sees women dressed nicely all day. I will not have him come home to a slob.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 AM

I wish there were more places I could go and wear pretty clothes. Every one has become so casual. I wore a skirt to church yesterday, but no pantyhose at least not when it is hot. I have some pretty formals in my closet and wish I had a place to wear them.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 AM

I don't feel like I'm a slob because I wear feminine T's and capris.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 AM

I like button down cotton shirts. They are a little cooler and I feel like they hide my tummy better.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 AM

I not only dress the same every day, but wear the same clothes year after year. Excluding pregnancies, I've worn the same size for over 50 years, so anything that is classic style is here for me to wear. Every few years, I have to replace a few things (such as shorts) when they wear out; otherwise, I have enough clothing to last me the rest of my life, regardless of how many years that is.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 AM

if i am in the old lady comfort dressers club, i am okay with that. its t-shirts and jeans when i go out, and t-shirts and sweats in the house. the shoes go on and off depending on what room i am in . i had to dress up last weekend for a wedding, black skirt and and a cotton blouse. i was so uncomfortable.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 AM

Just about every pair of pants I own is Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. I have different colors like tan and grey but all made like jeans. Just bout everyone I see is in jeans.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Im 73 and have never been a fan of high heels. My feet are in very good shape.
My biggest gripe right now is about tee shirts. They have big necklines and very short sleeves. Not good for older women. I want tight v necks and sleeves that hit the middle of my upper arm.
Amen sister! Have you also noticed how much they shrink in length, even if they are more expensive higher quality tees? We just had this discussion at a lunch I attended. And I have lost, not gained weight and am very careful with washing and line dry.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM

Just one more thought on the topic of "appropriate" dress, whatever that is. I wear jeans, capris and tees or sweaters for every day. I can't seem to figure out the "dress code" anymore for events I attend. Dress seems so casual, even for weddings, church, funerals and so on. I never know what to wear and frequently am very overdressed. Is this regional? I live on the coast of WA state.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM

Well, if its an old lady dress code, I'm in. Your description fits me to a T. Capris, T-shirt and sandals or sneakers. I wouldn't know what it feels like to dress up