Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting supplies/tools do you hate to spend money on? >

What quilting supplies/tools do you hate to spend money on?

What quilting supplies/tools do you hate to spend money on?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM

patterns (I never buy them) & specialty rulers -
Old 06-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Patterns or books that just tell me how to make blocks that have been around long enough to be in public domain or are so easy as to not need directions. I recently saw a pattern that was basically nine patches with a slight variation in the borders. Come on, do I really need directions for a nine patch? What was particularly irritating was that there was a warning that I couldn't use the pattern to make things for sale.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM

I just saw "The Block Marker" on Nancy's Notions website. It looks like it would really work, and I'd love to have it because I have a hard time squaring up blocks, especially if they are bigger than my largest ruler which is 12"x12".

But the price? On sale for $49.99. I hate that! Too expensive for the amount of quilting I do ...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Basting spray. It's just so darn expensive! We don't have Joann's here in Newfoundland.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:23 PM

Definitely thread. So many colors are needed for applique. I've got one project ready to go, but I can't afford the thread this month (on a fixed income.) I'm terrified to use the cheaper ones because of all the negative feedback here on QB. Sometimes quilting can be a very expensive hobby. But I'm hooked, so I'll do without something else!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Needles. For some reason it drives me crazy to pay for new needles and throw the old ones out even though they still look perfectly fine. I don't change the needle on my sewing machine nearly often enough (at least according to what I've read) because of this. I also can't ever feel that the needle is dull compared to the brand new ones.

New bobbin holders. I always seem to end up with just enough thread still on the old bobbins that I don't want to pull it off. For my sewing machine, sometimes I'll just use up each nearly empty bobbin on a scrappy project so I can refill them, but for my long arm I'm just collecting partially empty bobbins because I replace them at the beginning of a new row since I don't like running out half way through a pattern, then trying to match up just where I left off. Maybe I'll use them up on small projects some day.

Batting is crazy expensive and I always end up with leftover pieces that I tell myself I should sew together so I don't waste. Instead, I let my leftover batting take over too much space in my closet and I go buy more.
I do the same thing. I change bobbins at the end of each row, so there is always some left on the bobbin. I have thought of using up the thread when I piece the next quilt. Just have not done it yet.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 AM

I do hand quilting and I won't spend money on stencils. I draw my own or print them off the internet. Then I glue it to pressed cardboard like cereal boxes and cut out.

I buy my scissors at the Dollar Tree- everything's a dollar- cause I hate spending money on scissors that might get ruined or lost.

Fabric. I buy clothes at the thrift store for fabrics. only exception is white. I buy quilt backing for white fabric.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Agreed, patterns, most of the time you use it once and your done with it. Rotary cutting blades, highly over priced for a razor blade.
Any time something is itemized as specialty/or crafty the price goes sky high......check out thimble lady for really high priced thimbles!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 AM

I don't mind buying items if I have the money, and if I need them. I HAVE bought a few things that I wished I hadn't, but, "live and learn", my Mommy used to say. There are many times I'll pick up something and carry it around the store, and in the end, I put it back. I tell myself that I really don't need the item. Of course, when it comes to books and magazines, that's a different story, but I'm getting better at passing those up, too. I guess I don't really hate to buy anything.... I just wish I had the money to buy all I want.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by willis.debra View Post
I do hand quilting and I won't spend money on stencils. I draw my own or print them off the internet. Then I glue it to pressed cardboard like cereal boxes and cut out.
Great idea! You just solved the problem of how I was going to get my pattern for quilting the border on my next on the quilt. If I print it out and glue it to cardboard, and draw around it with whatever chalk/erasable pen I'm going to use, it should come out perfect.