So very frustrated with free motion quilting >

So very frustrated with free motion quilting

So very frustrated with free motion quilting

Old 06-27-2013, 03:07 AM

Enjoyed reading these posts. Great ideas
Pat
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I started free motion quilting on my old Kenmore & just loved it. Did a couple of quilts with feathers & felt like I did a decent job. I just knew that if I had a little more throat space and needle down I'd be a whiz. So, I got a Janome 6600 about a year & half ago and love the space, the needle down, etc., but my free motion stitches just aren't that great and I feel like I've tried everything. On my current frustrating project I'm using Superior Bottom Line in both the needle and bobbin. I have the blue dot bobbin case and I'm using a Superior Topstitch 90/14 needle. I can see little dots of bobbin thread on top and get some eyelashing on the back around the curves. And if I'm not seeing bobbin thread on top I'm seeing needle thread on the bottom. No such thing as balanced stitches. It hardly seems to matter where I set the top tension or whether the feed dogs are up or down. And I know to slow down going around those curves. Actually, what has started working best is to leave the machine on Mode 1 with a 3.5 stitch length and drop the feed dogs. The stitches look better that way, but still not perfect. I just feel like I was doing better work when I started out on the Kenmore using Coats & Clark & whatever needle I'd had in my machine for the past six months. All my attempts to improve seem to have set me back....skill wise as well as money!

Thanks for listening!
One of the tips given to me was a 0 stitch length, dogs down, and a glass of wine - lol. It worked fine - except I don't do wine, but everything else.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch View Post
I have the same issue with my newer machine... I finally gave up playing with the tension and pull out my old machine to do the free motion on it.
I have tried this with 4 of my machines, and the best one is a mechanical Bernina....I have a feeling that my old Singer 15-91 would be great too if I could find a foot for it.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and feel I'm doing a pretty decent job of FMQ. I do not ever use my foot pedal for any of my sewing, including FMQ. I find the right speed for me for what I'm
doing on the sliding knob, and then concentrate on getting my my movement of the fabric smooth and uniform. To me, using a foot pedal when FMQ is like rubbing my tummy and patting my head! Also I always use a Little Genie magic bobbin washer under my bobbin. I do have a blue dot bobbin case but usually forget to use it. I think the magic bobbin washers are the key to my success. I'm falling more in love with my machine every year I use it. (have had it since 2009 I'm pretty sure. I bought the washers on the Leah Day website. Hopefully these two tips will give you some encouragement to keep trying. ;-)

Also after reading other post I have to add that I always use a super slider Teflon mat, and Gutterman or Isacord thread top and bottom.

UOTE=wishfulthinking;6143102]I started free motion quilting on my old Kenmore & just loved it. Did a couple of quilts with feathers & felt like I did a decent job. I just knew that if I had a little more throat space and needle down I'd be a whiz. So, IQUOTEsa Janome 6600 about a year & half ago and love the space, the needle down, etc., but my free motion stitches just aren't that great and I feel like I've tried everything. On my current frustrating project I'm using Superior Bottom Line in both the needle and bobbin. I have the blue dot bobbin case and I'm using a Superior Topstitch 90/14 needle. I can see little dots of bobbin thread on top and get some eyelashing on the back around the curves. And if I'm not seeing bobbin thread on top I'm seeing needle thread on the bottom. No such thing as balanced stitches. It hardly seems to matter where I set the top tension or whether the feed dogs are up or down. And I know to slow down going around those curves. Actually, what has started working best is to leave the machine on Mode 1 with a 3.5 stitch length and drop the feed dogs. The stitches look better that way, but still not perfect. I just feel like I was doing better work when I started out on the Kenmore using Coats & Clark & whatever needle I'd had in my machine for the past six months. All my attempts to improve seem to have set me back....skill wise as well as money!

Thanks for listening![/QUOTE]

Last edited by canuckninepatch; 06-27-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: adding a couple of things
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 AM

I agree with the Magic Bobbin Washers - huge difference, and not an expensive item. Order them online from Leah Day. I have to add that one time when I was at the place where I bought my machine I bought "cheap" bobbins, and had a ton of trouble when I got home. It wasn't till I went back, and they apologized, saying that the cheap plastic bobbins had little "spurs" of plastic which messed up the sewing. I now use only Janome bobbins in my machine - they're totally smooth and meant for the Janome machines. You will find your "formula" - just persevere.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM

I have the Janome 6600 and also belong to the Yahoo Janome 6500/6600/7700 group. You can join for free and have any question answered by numerous ladies and get general info all the time. I also think that you need to use a heavier thread for the top thread. JMHO......I do use the special "blue bobbin".....have no problems with tension.....
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
I have tried this with 4 of my machines, and the best one is a mechanical Bernina....I have a feeling that my old Singer 15-91 would be great too if I could find a foot for it.
OMGosh! Easiest type of machine to find a foot for!
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...D-SCF60410.htm
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...foot-55417.htm
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...-SCF4021-L.htm
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...td-SCF4021.htm

The last two would be my favorites. I have all 4. The last one is the one that Leah Day recommends (with modifications)

Also, I was reading a Karen McTavish book last night (Mastering the Art of McTavishing) and she states that she likes to use Bottom Line thread - "I also use this thread in needle turn applique because it's similar to silk thread. The thread was originally intended as a bobbin thread only, but the majority of quilters find it an excellent top thread as well"

Yes, I know she's a Long arm quilter.

Lots of people like it because it minimizes the look of the FMQ, so you see the texture more than the stitches. Great for travelling.

I'd say go ahead and use it. If it wasn't good for needle thread, Superior wouldn't have this in the reference sheet I posted on page 2 of this thread:
Bottom Line™
embroidery, quilting, binding
Bottom Line
Topstitch #70/10 or #80/12
4.0 to 5.0 - this is the recommended tension starting point
60 wt. polyester.
Use as top thread or bobbin thread
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I don't know anything about the new fangled machines

One tip I heard recently is if you don't like the throat space for FMQ on the machine you have, turn it 90 degrees.

Face the nose of the machine. Voila - "infinite" throat space. Obviously this doesn't work for machines built into tables unless you want to lay like you're Superman, but maybe it gives you some ideas? This is really just like having it on a frame, with no frame.

Maybe since you did well with the Kennie but wanted more space you could use the Janome for everything else, and keep going with the Kennie for FMQ.
Why did I not think of this? I was just telling my husband that the only reason I didn't like FMQ on my machine was because of the throat size and I hated to get a new machine just for that...now I don't have too! I am totally trying this while my kids nap today!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
Why did I not think of this? I was just telling my husband that the only reason I didn't like FMQ on my machine was because of the throat size and I hated to get a new machine just for that...now I don't have too! I am totally trying this while my kids nap today!
LOL! When I heard that I thought the same thing.
I ran the whole gamut of reactions:
Old 06-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Update. I switched back to my original (red dot) bobbin case & thought all was well. Back stitches still didn't thrill me, but there was no (well, maybe ever so slight, occassional) eyelashing and no thread dots showing up front or back. So, I begin quilting. Now I'm getting skipped stitches and I mean real toe catchers sometimes when I go around a particular curve. I'm doing feathers and the skip is when I go around the fat curve on the feather to the left of the stem. Don't think it's a speed issue as I am going way slower than I'd like. So I rethreaded the machine & bobbin, putting a little drop of oil on the wick. Confirmed proper insertion of the needle. Manual says the problem could be cheap needles or thread. Definately not the case with either. I'm using needles and tension as per Tammi's post above. And I'm using the Janome bobbins. Still getting occassional toe catchers.

Thinking back some more, this is the first time I've used the machine since it had it's first service from the dealer. I wonder if he could have done something to it? I noticed after I picked it up that one of the spool holders was a little bent and scuffed. I wasn't having any problems before this and only had it serviced because I'd read you really should take it in once a year. Now is when I add that the Kenmore has never, ever, ever been to the shop since she came out of the box.

When I'm able to face the machine again I'll try a practice sandwich with cotton threads. I'm only using the Bottom Line because I loved it so in my bobbin for piecing and the color I have just melted into the backing it matched so well. So I bought another spool of Bottom Line to match the front of the quilt thinking that if I used the same brand & weight in needle and bobbin all would be well. Not. So. Much.

Again, thanks to all of you kind, understanding people for your input. Now I have to go iron my hubby's white business shirts. My joy is complete.