Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using "word" fabrics in a quilt >

Using "word" fabrics in a quilt

Using "word" fabrics in a quilt

Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Using "word" fabrics in a quilt

I really like some of the modern fabrics that are a continuos print of words. However, I just used them in a quilt that had half-square triangles and there was no way to get the fabric positioned in the churndash blocks so that all the words were aligned correctly. Does this bother you in a quilt?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Yes, it would bother OCD me. You can work around this, though, same as you could work around a stripe that you want going in a certain direction in a half square triangle. It takes more time, but worth it if you're going for a certain look.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I do not have any fabric with words on them, but I saw some with individual letters that I thought was pretty. About the words not facing the same way, I think you could drive yourself crazy trying to make them be perfect. Just let them go they way they want. I make my quilts very random on purpose so that the person I give them to does not think they have to turn them a certain way.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 AM

I like the word fabrics.
Cutting them up doesn't bother me, I use them like stripe fabrics.
They were great on my bookcase quilt, I cut strips and sewed them in and they looked like the titles on the ends of the books.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Doesn't bother me one bit -
Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I'm bothered by directional prints going the wrong way and I hate it if there is a strong "stripe" in the print, like polka dots that are all lined up. I have to cut these so they line up in the patches. That's why a really look at prints before I buy them.
As far as the HSTs with directional prints, you will need to cut twice as many as you need to get the print all going the same way. The up side, is that you can make 2 quilts ;-)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:08 PM

That always bothered me as well, stripes too so I wouldn't buy any. Now that I am older and not so much time to sew I have learned to calm myself down and let a little wonky get by me. Has saved my sanity. Now I can use all the beautiful stripes and directional prints that I like all I want too.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM

I'm currently working with some fabric like that. Some of the blocks have pieces as small as 1 1/2 inches. I just tried to give myself permission to ignore the direction of the words, otherwise I'm afraid I will never finish it.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM

I know I could have worked to match them up, but the pattern called for fat eighths, so cutting extras to make the match wasn't possible this time.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 PM

With directionals, I often just make sure to get a mix--if most of them go a particular way and only a few are different, I really notice--if they are more randomized, I don't mind.