Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Progress >

Progress

Progress

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 AM

What a fantastic quilt project. The color combinations are beautiful. I hope you find time to work on it. I'm sure we all want to see more of this baby.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 AM
rb.

Originally Posted by JANW
]Oh boy is that gorgeous, Venice Rose by Norah McMeeking right? I'm intimidated by paper piecing though. Love your color choices.
Oh, don't be intimidated by paper piecing, it is soooo easy. If you can follow step by step instructions, and can pay attention to detail (like running your stitch line right along the side of the folded freezer paper) you have it made. It's kind of like paint by number. But easier. :wink:

I'm a teach myself kind of person, and trust me, this is one of the easiest things I've ever learned.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM

that is absolutely amazing. and yes, very very scary for someone who hasn't made any "patterned" quilts. I've only done squares put together for all of mine up till now. I'm trying to find easy patterns to start with, but this one is amazing... maybe in about 20 years or so I might have the confidence.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM

WOW Beautiful. I have looked at that pattern and a couple of finished quilts. It may have to go on the "to do" list here someday!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 PM

Wooooooooooow! That is awesome! I am sure hoping you find more time to work onit and am looking forward to seeing future pictures!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Banned

Thank you so much for posting your WIP! I love it, and the colors you've chosen are awesome. I think because it's a big medallion that it will be much easier than I thought, because I initially thought the whole thing would be about half the size it is! LOL.

I remember walking through Venice and thinking that the tiles would make great patterns. Now I just HAVE to order some for myself. Sigh, another TO DO!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by rb.

Thanks, butterflywing. I figured I would have to make it wider, but hadn't yet checked sizes for the different mattresses. I figure I will do to the pattern first, and toss the top on her bed to see what to add where. She sleeps like the Princess and the Pea (high bed frame with two mattresses, as we have no where to store the extra one), so a good long drop won't be hanging on the floor.

Yeah, that no good deed goes unpunished thing...this is for the 11 year old. Now our 14 year old daughter is chomping at the bit for hers. :wink:
i have a queen sized bed and a high rise, 24" off the floor because it's a reproduction. they were high and today's mattresses and boxes are huge.. yours may be bigger. i make my quilts between 96"and 100". that's what i shoot for because my bed has a side rail that allows me to stop there. that gives me a good overhang (up to the rail) and lets me tuck under the pillow with the 100. the 96 not so tucky. i would never get the high mattress again. there's no reason for them and they're much more expensive. i don't have to sleep in the air. besides, i'm short and i have to climb into bed. no joke. the mattress top comes all the way up to my waist almost, so i can't even sit on the darn bed without acrobatics.
EDIT: i am such a dope. the drop from the top of my mattress to the top of the rail is 24", not to the floor. to the floor is 36". that was why i need the 100". there. that should explain things better. that gives me 20" overhang, which is not so much with a 36" high bed. remember also, that the person in the bed pulls up the overhang and you don't want her/his tush sticking out. LOL!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
rb.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
remember also, that the person in the bed pulls up the overhang and you don't want her/his tush sticking out. LOL!
Uh huh. Having a husband who rolls over and leaves MY tush sticking out in the cold, I'm taking that into account. :wink:
Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM

you're comin' in loud'n'clear, good buddy!

10-4, over'n'out :P
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Mmmmm! Scrumptious!