Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers >

Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers

Thoughts on sending fruit for a funeral rather than flowers

Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sewflower View Post
I have been a floral designer for 23 years. I know flowers can be expensive but most floral shop will work within your budget. We do fruit baskets and junk food baskets at a reasonable price. Please try to support your local businesses because they have families to support too.
I agree it is nice to save a few dollars. All I am asking is just consider what impact this has on small local businesses same as your LQS.

Good point. I see a trend in less florals at the wakes but I admit to enjoying seeing the florals
sandy
Old 08-25-2013, 05:46 AM

I've sent fruit twice to my daughter's in-laws when their parents passed. They had my daughter's family and grandkids coming in plus other company. I located a local florist and ordered a fruit basket directly over the phone. The florist did a great job and the fruit was very much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 AM

When our youngest brother passed the family and some friends would go to one of my sister's home in-between the viewing times. I brought cases of Pepsi, snacks, frozen meals and other items that could be prepared quickly and sister didn't have to cook. Others brought cookies, cake, fruit, etc as most of us just needed something to pick on.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 AM

Our office often sends a basket of fruit, bagels, and muffins to the family's home.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 AM

A food basket can cost as much as flowers, especially is sent through a business that provides the service and delivery. If you put something together yourself and deliver it your self you will probably save money, or have a much fuller basket.
There seems to be a good amount of flowers at funerals, and I think there will always be some that will send flowers especially if they were acquianted but don't have family details such as addresses and preferences, the funeral home or place of memorial service is published.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sewflower View Post
I have been a floral designer for 23 years. I know flowers can be expensive but most floral shop will work within your budget. We do fruit baskets and junk food baskets at a reasonable price. Please try to support your local businesses because they have families to support too.
I agree it is nice to save a few dollars. All I am asking is just consider what impact this has on small local businesses same as your LQS.
I am a retired floral designer (30 years). It is nice to have some flowers but sometimes the funeral home can be over run with them depending on how well know the person is known. You can get a combination basket with a plant & snacks or fruit or flowers instead of the plant. Send a small plant or flowers & check if lots of people will be at the home & if so send a gift card to the local Subway or other such place so family can order a sandwich tray would be really nice. All are good ideals.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Sounds great! I have done this once for a neighbor. I usually do meat and cheese trays, bread, chips, and soda for neighbors. The responses that I have received for these have been overwhelming. They say that it is so easy for family members to grab a sandwich whenever they are hungry.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

My aunt sent a HUGE basket of foods and coffees and teas from a on line basket company when mom died. It was very nice for all the people visiting off and on to be able to just grab a little something. Sonoma baskets I think.

No it was from here.... http://www.winecountrygiftbaskets.co...&v=&sc=GS07750

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM

When my only brother passed I sent a big beautiful bunch of flowers to the funeral home for his service. It was what was important to him to show respect that way. It didn't matter that the flowers would soon be gone, it was to honor how he felt about things.

When my mom passed, my cousin brought a nice platter of sandwiches for the family to the funeral home so we could rest a while in a back room and have a snack before going back out to greet visitors. I greatly appreciated that she did that. Friends always send food to the family's home.

Immediately after the burial there is always a dinner at a church where the family has bought the food and ladies of the church prepare it. All the people who came to the funeral are to attend (and they better or have a good excuse not to). This is how my family does it in West Virginia.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM

I love flowers, I have many in my gardens, but I don't want any at my funeral. Such a waste of money to have them die in a few days. I love the idea of fruit baskets, snack baskets or whatever you know will help the family during this time.