Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My way to use up and recycle scraps of fabric. >

My way to use up and recycle scraps of fabric.

My way to use up and recycle scraps of fabric.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Super ideas!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Wow, thanks for these great creative ideas. You are amazing. For those who are allergic to the dryer sheets, what about using the chemical and perfume free ones? I am not sure if they would work for this purpose though.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM
DJ

Inspirational! Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Terrific! It's so great to find all those wonderful ideas in one place. Thank you.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Wonderful ideas! And love the funky chicken!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:29 AM

You are so talented.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Pic. 11 With other little scraps, I made two kinds of book marks. Some I sewed together using a piece of dryer sheet as backing until it was the size I wanted. Then cut a backing a bit larger and folded over the edges for the binding. Another way was to take scraps and use heat and bond the two fabrics together. Then pink the edges and it is done. This one is a bit floppy but still works. The greeting cards are made with heat and bond on scraps which I then cut out with rotary cutter in quilt shapes and ironed onto the card stock.

More ideas are to use dryer sheets for foundations for scrappy work. Some folks have mentioned on here that folks with allergies might not be able to have these so keep that in mind. I like to use fabric that is really too flimsy for anything else and use it as foundation. Then I don't have to rip it off like paper. If you have lots of birds in your area, besure and put out the leftover strings and tiny trimmings for them to use in nests. I have never lived where this was feasible but sounds so neat to be able to find a nest at the end of a season that would have threads etc. incorporated into it. Several have mentioned that the trimmings can be used for pet beds too if you can find someone who could use them.

These are just some of the ideas for what I do to use up scraps. I think there is always someone who can probably use what you don't want so offer it for the postage and I am sure lots of new projects and friends will be made. Please feel free to add on your pictures and ideas. The End. :-)

Just a quick comment. It is not a good idea to pit cotton strings or any cotton fabric scraps "out for the birds". When the cotton gets wet, it takes too long to dry and the baby birds will die from the cold. I saw this posted by a veterinarian in the paper. I do cut up little scraps of fleece for the birds though.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:37 AM

My youngest DD brought home some chobani yogurt in some larger cups. I am saving them to make a cupcake looking pincushion to give as gifts to my sewing friends. Will post a pic when I finish one.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM

These are all great ideas!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas. I especially like the way you grouped them together and described as you went along. So much easier to view that way.