Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm machine >

Longarm machine

Longarm machine

Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Fifteen years ago I started with a Hinterberg stretch frame with an antique Singer. Have taken baby steps and upgraded several times until I traded in a V17 for the FunQuilter 18". Love having the light weight machine and do quilts for myself, family and also charity quilts that are not large.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM

I have a Gammill. Was doing it as a business until we moved a year ago. Now I only do my quilts and a few for charity.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM

I have an Innova 26 and I quilt only for myself but all my quilts are made as gifts for others. I'm basically an amateur in my mind so don't feel confident enough to go professional. Plus I'd worried myself to an early heart attack wondering if I'd damage someone else's quilt while working on it. So many things to think about when working on someone else's hard work, thinks you don't mind if it happens to one of your own. Not to say you're not sad you made a mistake on one of your own but you can live with it as with someone else's, you'd have to worry for so many reasons.

Just my take on the subject.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM

I bought a gentle used HQ 16 with Prostitcher. I quilt for myself and I would like to quilt for others. The problem is, there always seems to be a baby shower and I find myself making a quilt for the recipient. I feel like with each quilt I am learning something new. Happy Quilting Everyone.
Sandy
Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM

I do quilt or others. I had HQ 16 went to A-1 not good . I have HQ Fusion now , It took me years to quilt for other
people .so I've been quilting for others how 5 years. I don't do custom quilting.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM

I have a longarm. I have no plans to quilt any quilts other than my own. I made the mistake of starting a home-based machine embroidery business after purchasing my first embroidery machine about 20 years ago. Several embroidery machines later (including 3 commercial machines - one at a time) I no longer enjoy machine embroidery. Making it a job took the joy out of it for me. I don't plan to let that happen with my longarm. I enjoy quilting and I want to keep it that way.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM

I have a tiara 16inch sit down machine that I am still learning how to use. It is for my and daughters use only. We make things to relax and just have fun. We don't quilt for anyone else .
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM

I have a TinLizzie 26" Ansley. I do have a computer Called Shirley Stitcher that goes on it but it is to slow for me!! I wanted to quilt just for me....let's see I have 1 quilt on a guest bed that I did..it seems I have so many baby quilts, charity quilts and friends quilts that I don't have time for mine! I would like to take 2014 and finish my tops and get some on my beds! Is that being selfish? Back to my machine....I love it but my dream would be an Innova...even though my Ansley quilts beautifully even with metallic thread. I did a King size butterfly quilt for my mother for Christmas and after tweaking the tension it stitched beautiful! Having said that I do not consider myself good enough or experienced enough to do for others. I also hope to use try using a pantograph this year.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 AM

I don't quilt professionally, but bought and expensive long arm and love it. I share it with my friends.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 AM

I also have a mid arm (Bernina 820QE on a Grace Frame) and my goal is to get good enough to quilt for others. Not that I necessarily will, but to be that good!