Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funeral quilt >

Funeral quilt

Funeral quilt

Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Interesting ..I have heard of casket blankets that were given to the surviving family .. usually of black wool ..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Junior sounds like a nice person. I would love to see a funeral museum. There are so many customs and the customs of earlier times are most interesting. The ribbons were of wonderful materials in many decades past. I too remember a dalia pillow - I wonder. Today I make memory quilts and pillows from the clothing of the deceased. I loved the story of the little girl who made a pillow for her grandmother.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM

OK,
I am not the only one. I have made 7 quilts out of clothing from Seniors that were used to drape the coffin when they passed away.
It all started while I was working at a nursing home. One of the Seniors seemed very depressed and after talking to her we came up with the idea of us making a quilt for her to take with her. She had her daughter bring some of her cloths over and we make the quilt. After it was finished she would show it off to the other ladies. As of now that is a total of seven quilts finished and 2 working. I even have men working on their quilts. I think it gives them something to hold on to.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Love how this thread has gone from admiring the quilt... to destinations for dates... to funeral traditions... to dating advise!
So do I! Junior makes me laugh, and I return the favor.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Thank you for that great piece of history. Something most of us would never know about.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:53 PM

The most fascinating quilt I ever saw was, I think, in an issue of Fons and Porter. They have a man who features an antique quilt or two in each issue. This one featured a cemetary with a picket fence and a black coffin for each member of the family. When someone died, their coffin was moved and re-sewn inside the fence to reside with the other departed family members.

I suppose it's morbid, but I just thought it was really cool!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like a nice beginning for both of you.
peace
Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Never heard of this, sounds interesting but guessing that many people now-a-days don't sew, except for those of us here ...?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ljptexas View Post
Very interesting… I've never seen or heard of this one. But have heard of 'passing over' quilt. It's used when a body is removed from a room, especially in a NH. More easy to look at than a body bag. My Mom is in a NH right now & I have wanted to make 2 for that Home, 1 for guys & 1 for ladies, using up my orphan blocks. Of course, the NH home keeps it & reuses it. Don't know off hand the dimensions.

I sewed one reversible --pink more feminine one side / blue manly stripe on the other as easier for them to keep in hurst. Did not need batting then either.
Owner told me to make long enough to cover the whole gurney but not as wide as a quilt so not to get caught in
the movement of the legs folding --like an ambulance gurney. Suggest you call and ask for size as I only have a pic.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Yes, mourning quilts have become popular. I made one for a Long Term Care facility near to me. They have used it so much in 8 years that there is a request for me to make another. First one done in colors of Swedish flag in Log Cabin pattern. The next one will be the same fabrics but in Courthouse Steps. These designs leave plenty of white space to inscribe names of the residents who have passed from the LTC. The quilt is hung back up in their chapel. It is definitely an honor to be doing this service.