Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should a beginer begin? >

Where should a beginer begin?

Where should a beginer begin?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 PM

i agree with others to to just strt. you already know how to sew clothes. take some of those scraps, cut some 5 or 6" blocks and just start sewing them together. then when your local classes start, you will be one step ahead. by the way the "Dummy" how to books are great.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Do a rail fence which is just sewing strips together and cutting in squares, look at the tube. It goes really fast and fun to do for a beginner. (MY first one) Very satisfying. Do watch the 1/4 stitch and most of all, enjoy.l
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Start by knowing your machine really well and asking the peeps on this board for help.
these ladies haven given me a lot of help and help my confidence more.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Welcome from another newbie quilter, also! I went to my local quilting store and signed up for a beginner's quilting class. Meets once a week for four weeks and tonight is week three (we're going to be making our quilt sandwich and starting the simple machine quilting tonight).

I had sewn clothing and other household items for years and had tried quilts before, but they just didn't come out. Things I've learned so far:

Measure, measure, measure! For example - when doing a "border strip", in the past I would just put a strip of material on and sewed it - then cut off the extra. Now I now to measure the parts of the quilt I want to border and cut the border strip to the average size and make it fit. Now my border strips are nice and even!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Check Amazon for used books - I actually got 2 wonderful quilting books for one cent, the shipping was $3.99 - so for $4.00 and they were over $17.00 new.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Half-Price Books had a bunch of used ones the last time I was in there.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Welcome aboard. I'm newbie and I am teaching myself. I have books, books and more books. Watch videos on computer.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM

When I started to quilt, I just didn't have time for classes, so I went to the LQS and bought a book - Alex Anderson's Start Quilting (it's been updated since I bought mine) - and some fabric. I made one of the quilts from the book, and never looked back. It was sort of funny, because when I decided I wanted to learn to quilt, I walked into the shop and told them and they wanted to sign me up for a class. When I bought my book and fabric, as I was leaving, the girl said, When you realize you can't learn it on your own, come back and we'll get you into a class. A week later, I took my finished quilt back to the shop and bought more fabric for the next one. :-)

It is highly addictive! Just have fun with it; otherwise, what is the point?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Another vote for the videos by Missouri Star Quilt Co. They started out with a "brand new to quilting" series, and also did a "beginner block" series. Check them out, and don't forget that some of the BEST quilting advice is right here at the Quilting Board!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri...ew=0&flow=grid
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM

Thanks for this, I bought a 1/4" foot this week, have been practicing with it. I will check out Debbie Maddy patterns.

What do you mean but 'good' fabric? I am a batik freak, how will I know if they are good or not?

Thanks for all the info.... btw, me am my seam ripper are good friends! LOL

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
Since you've already been sewing for a while, I say find a pattern you like, pick out 'good' fabrics, and go for it! I think Debbie Maddy (Calico Carriage, just google it) has some really great patterns for 1st timers. (Based on personal experience).
I agree with earlier comments of learning the 1/4" seam. If your machine didn't come with a 1/4" foot - get one! you'll thank yourself for it!
Learn to cut accurately.
Do use starch!
Pin so seams meet.
Learn to use your seam ripper (you'll use it)
Be aware of when you 'stretch' fabric to meet/match.
and Most Importantly - have fun!

This forum is an excellent resource. If you need help understanding how to do a specific task or step...ask! You'll typically get several options on it! Please show some pictures !