Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ugly quilt in process >

Ugly quilt in process

Ugly quilt in process

Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 AM

If that is yellow or gold in the quilt, photo color changes when posting, use bright gold print for sashing and borders. You can use the blue if you still have some for cornerstones and for the binding. Once it is quilted you will feel differently about it. It is actually a very nice quilt.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 AM

I agree that the quilt is not ugly. It is just not "done."

I also like the idea of adding red. BUT as I looked at your pictures I kept seeing a red that was skewed a tad toward yellow as opposed to toward blue or a clear red. And I saw very thin lines of that 'red towards yellow.' Please see what you think about a very thin line of my red that runs horizontally and vertically between the blocks. Or maybe just horizontally or vertically.

Just took another long look at your quilt blocks. That is pink I see in the fabric, isn't it? And the pink is blue-ish, isn't it? My red toward yellow would be less than attractive, then. How about doing my lines in a blue-ish pink that is as bright as you feel would look good. Not neon, but as strong as you find attractive.

Thank you for posting. You have energized me and I am going to crawl into jeans and head for my sewing room. The laundry is right around the corner and I can wash and sew. Two for one. What a nice start to my day!

Pat
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Just add a bit of color in the sashings and cornerstones. It will perk it up a bit, and make the quilt larger-which I assume you wanted, as you couldn't finish another row. Adding a smaller accent border followed by a larger border will make a great finish! (jmho)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Not ugly at all! You're just too close to it, maybe. I love the dark print and white blocks with the little shots of yellow/tan print! Are you going to sash it with white, too? I think that would make it look so crisp and set off your blocks. I like this a lot!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
You're funny, love your title! The quilt, so far, is not ugly. It just needs something to perk it up. Maybe a tiny flange of red and then white sashings and borders?

Love this idea! Please do it!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
red sounds great. looks like an 'expresso' quilt
I love Lynnie's description of 'expresso' quilt and also really like the idea of red for the sashing. I really like the colors!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
not enjoying this quilt at all...this is one of the bag of scraps I bought. 2 inch strips. All were black and dark blue strips and many the same. I added a few tans form my stash and gray fabric. Not loving the gray, the dark colors and on top of that...I ran out of the scraps fabric for an entire row...so that row is out...and then one block so I pieced together the sashing on one block with scraps. I was going to use gray for the border....my husband said YUK...so I will use white. This is becoming an ugly.[ATTACH=CONFIG]465544[/ATTACH]
I'm sure a border of yellow or red would bring it all together, good piecing shouldn't go to waste, X Letty
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I like it, but perhaps a sashing or small border of red might make the blocks pop.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 PM

I don't think this is ugly at all. She just needs a bit of color to make her interesting. I love red! I's audition a spark of yellow just to see what that does.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:34 PM

I think the colors must remind some weird section of my brain of 1880's or 1890's (I think) reproduction fabrics because my brain is insisting that I suggest a pink instead of a red. And I don't even usually like pink! Go figure.... Seriously, maybe pink is in your stash and would look good with the brown.