Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing >

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

I made a Pixel Portrait Quilt of Tom Hiddleston - Need help finishing

Old 03-20-2014, 05:36 AM

WOW! Fantastic likeness!

Kristy at http://stlouisfolkvictorian.blogspot...ck-part-1.html has done two large pixel quilts of Benedict Cumberbatch and Dr. Who (what is about the British that inspires these projects? LOL). Try contacting her about how she finished her projects.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

OMG girl - talk about starting with a difficult piece. I haven't seen him in any films, but your quilt makes him look very handsome indeed. Fantastic work.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 AM

I agree that you should let him know -- if you haven't already -- how you have created his image in a quilt (send photos). He will be amazed! and appreciative! If you are this great a fan, he would probably love to know it.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I hope you plan on entering it in several quilt shows, quilters will want to see this one. I have seen a few pixel quilts but this one takes the prize it is so well done and I would love to hear how you selected your fabrics. A friend of mine does what she calls under quilting where you layer your quilt but fold back the top and sew the under seams down so the seams become the quilting. Not sure I am being very clear. But I would do that for the face so no quilting would show on the top but it would be totally stable then. You could maybe do something else for the hair and shirt and background but as I think about it I would probably under quilt the whole thing. Since the impact is your color selections and the small squares. Their would be nothing else then to detract from the eye but the back would then have a whole other impact of straight lines.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
Absolutely stunning!!
My thoughts exactly. I would 'stitch in the ditch' with a medium grey thread or a clear smoke color thread. Check out youtube videos to see how this is done. If you 'stitch in the ditch' (SID) both directions, and use iron on interfacing on the back of the piecework, you will get about as much stability as possible. You are amazing. You should do a tutorial on your method.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 AM

This is amazing!!!! You definitely need to stabilize it. I think I would have an experienced long-arm quilter do it and maybe with an invisible thread on top so it doesn't detract from the quilt.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
There is a HUGE quilt museum at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Please contact them for assistance. If they don't know what to do they may be able to refer you to some really special framers/artists who can help you. It is worthy of the BEST stabilization.
I agree, contact the Univ. of Nebraska for some advice. This quilt is a lifetime masterpiece. I can't imagine what you'll be able to accomplish in future quilts! Thanks so much for sharing and joining this board!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 AM

MULTIPLE POCKETS !! If you are going to hang this wonderful masterpiece - i would suggest multiple pockets or "loop/holders" at various intervals down the quilt....much like you might see on the way a Roman shade is done - so that you could distribute the weight evenly. STUNNING work.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM

Your work is amazing! Congratulations on a job well done.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 AM

This may sound tidious. The first thing I would do is go back and back stitch all the seams along the edges. The next thing I would do is spray the whole top with Best Press spray starch. Make sure you follow the directions. Then I would add a narrow border to tame the perimeter. I would go to your local quilt shops and check out the completed quilt samples to see if you like the work. Ask them for the name of the ones you like. Call them. Yes them. The long arm quilters typically charge 2-5 cents a square inch. Extra charge for detail because they would have to reload the quilt or additional handling. When the long arm quilter looks at your top he/she will answer all your concerns. Don't be shy to ask them if they have done portraits before as well as their turn around dates. Some quilters only do all over meandering. Some only use whatever is programed on their long arm computer. While others do free hand. Most will do a little of all two or three. Go with your gut instinct about what the quilter tells you. Yes, you will need to add a batting. It is one of its functions. The quilter will be able to recommend which type of batting. Try this first before you go outside of your area. It is very expensive to ship a quilt not to mention leaving your baby to the hands of unknown strangers. If you can't live without the quilt then don't enter it in a show. Your quilt is not a perishable. Even insuring when shipping doesn't replace the quilt. You would still have to make another one. Good luck finding those perfect fabrics again.