Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures" >

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Thank you all for your comments!

As I expected, there have been some great suggestions. It's interesting to see the variety of approaches people have, just in the process of selecting and combining fabrics.

Again, thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Hey Favorite Fabrics: Follow your marketing plan or your mission statement (if you have either). Is your shop known for something? My experience in business tells me that you want your shop to be "known" for something, whether it's always having the newest, always having the best sales, always having the largest inventory, whatever. Get yourself a reputation so people will think of you and you will be the "go-to" store. You probably aren't large enough to make all the people happy all the time (great if you CAN do this!!) so don't fret, just decide what will sell the best in your area. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 PM

I don't particularly like to buy a line of fabrics, although I have bought some of specific line and mixed and matched the rest. I mainly like to build my own with the idea of the design and person I'm making the quilt for. Somethings that I've done in the past is go to the LQS and if I can't afford something they have I search on-line and usually get a better deal. In this day and age, $$s matter.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM

I think it would be nice to have at least one collection, in seasonal colors and perhaps a free, simple pattern for using the collection in.

Then make most of your fabric the more reasonably priced choices. Although the collections may be small and picked through, you can set some colors or a few groups of 3-4 that go together in a location close to the most expensive stuff.

I appreciate the stores who have really discounted stuff, selling for $1-$3 a yard. Perhaps only 1 week or even a day or two a month, put the fat quarters on sale for $.50 - $1.00. Displayed in a pretty group of baskets and close to a group of patterns for using fat quarters.

What I miss most are the cheaper embellishments. Buttons, ribbon and lace can be wonderful on a quilt, but very expensive. It would be nice to have some that are discounted.

The other thing that bothers me is how hard it is to find the wonder-under stuff and the 90" wide backing fabrics. It seems when I finally begin to understand my way around the store, they move stuff. Since I am nearly blind this is really irritating.

If you are still in business, you must be doing something right. :D

Gwyn
Old 09-10-2009, 04:15 PM

I don't think I've ever purchased more than 2 fabrics from one collection. I like to make my own choices. So yes, do buy that "older" fabric and give us a price break. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised....
Old 09-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

well, now ... this has certainly been a fascinating read. in more ways than one. :lol:

i don't envy anybody who has to decide what to buy in the hope others will like it, too. the idea of having to force myself to buy fabs i hate just because i think somebody else might want it is ... just ... well ... EEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWWWW! :shock:

i try to spend as little as possible per yard so that i can haul away a greater variety of fabs whenever i shop. i get a rash whenever i spend more than $5 per yard (including shipping). over $6? only when i'm desparate for that particular fabric and nothing else will do.

whether online or in-shop, i wander through the fabs in my price range and wait for them to trip me as I go past. (i fall down a LOT in fabric stores. :lol: ) i don't care if they're from a new line or if they've been seen in neanderthal cave paintings. i either like it or i don't.

so, that's my 37 cents (plus shipping & handling, don'tcha know).
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM

patrice, you're such a spendthrift! :mrgreen:

unless i neeeed it for something very special, i shoot for under $3.99, preferably $2.99. at that price, 2x a year i can buy my fill and not pay shipping. even with shipping, buying abunch (over $100) drops the shipping down to an average of $.35 - .40 cents a yard. still a great bargain if you buy cheap, cheap, cheap. at 1 yard per color you can make magic all year long.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 PM

I am always wondering what those $2, $3, and $4 dollar a yard fabrics are like. Will I be able to see through them, will they fall apart in the washer? Makes me leary unless I am in a shop to actually handle them.
I am also very close to Shipshewana and have several local quilt shops near by. So I buy very little online. I am all about the bargains though. If it were a great price and I recognized the line...I would buy online.
Christine
Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM

ChristianeD,

in my experience, they are not junky,they are fine quality fabrics, mostly discontinued lines (who cares)of famous makers but there are only a limited number of yards left. sometimes they will ask if you want them to ship what there is if they don't have the full yardage of a particular fabric. i always say yes. you can so no. sometimes by the time you order, there isn't any left. there is never a full line of any designer's collection. some designs come in more than one color, which can be very interesting. in other words, it's hit or miss. if there isn't a lot that i like, i pass it by. i want to save on the shipping.

some sites will not charge shipping if you spend over a certain amount of money. sometimes it's $50, sometimes $100 and sometimes only $35. this can change depending on what kind of sale they're having in addition to discounting the fabric. eleanor burns recently had a no-shipping deal if you spent over $50 on her fabric frenzy stuff. she has a lot of $4 fabric.

like any other fabric, i prewash everything. i don't trust anything not to shrink and i also don't like working with chemicals on the fabric. that's a personal choice, of course.

hope this answers, more or less, your question.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm one of those "I buy the fabric that slaps me as I walk by"..then I buy other things that I like to go with it. I like to think that I am different from everyone else..so I like for my quilts to be different from everyone else's also. I might admire the matched "set"..but my favorite shops to spend my money in are all arranged by color. They will also have sections, like batiks, but mostly its by color. I will always "bargain" shop first, but by far I end up buying more of the regular priced items.

I never seem to be able to find neutrals at the lower prices which drives me crazy...