Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I ruined my king size scrap quilt. >

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
what a valuable resource that blog is! Thank you so much for posting it. I am hoping anyone who uses these pens read it to understand what Frixion pens are all about.
Jane, I am so sorry this happened to you but I don't think your quilt is ruined. I bet one of the products in this article will help to remove the stains. You may also wish to consider soaking the quilt in the bathtub overnight with some dawn dish detergent in the water. Weigh the quilt down so it stays submerged. I know this is a technique used to remove bleeds. Here is a great blog on it:
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/201...hed-quilt.html
While these instructions are for a bleed, they may just work for the dried ink on your quilt.

I also hope that your posting, heartbreaking as it is, may keep another quilter from using these "wicked little pens" (and that is not wicked in the good sense) to mark a quilt for quilting. I think they are ok to mark a seam line like for HST units but not to mark anywhere on the face of the quilt.

Additionally I would avoid using peroxide at all costs. Leah Day posted how she ruined one of her show quilts trying to clean with peroxide. It basically destroyed the cotton fibers in the fabric. Now she may very well have used a solution that was too strong but why risk it. Plus this was an all white/cream colored quilt. Who knows what it would do to all the colors in yours.
I am going to need this blog too. All this scrubbing, with warm water ad chemicals, is causing some reds to bleed. They were prewashed,but in cold water, now the warm water is taking its toll. But I rather have some pink blocks vs blue pen. So thanks for the bleeder advise. That is the next step. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:11 AM

Hugs to you Jane, sorry to hear about the problem. Thank you for letting us know, you may have saved someone else the same fate. Hopefully it will all come out in the wash.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM

SO sorry this happened! What a disappointment!

If you've tried everything else, I got marker out of my white riding breeches using a paste of OxyCLean, letting it sit and then washing it. Just another suggestion.

Watson
Old 08-20-2016, 02:54 PM

So sorry know how you must feel.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
SO sorry this happened! What a disappointment!

If you've tried everything else, I got marker out of my white riding breeches using a paste of OxyCLean, letting it sit and then washing it. Just another suggestion.

Watson
oooh I forgot about that product....have some in my laundry room. Got to go try...thanks Watson! I''m off......
Old 08-20-2016, 08:39 PM

It worked....it worked....the oxyclean worked! Its a miracle! Thank you Watson. I use to have the paste....I only have the crystles ad that is what I used. Now I got to work on the perfect concentration. Woo hoo.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
what a valuable resource that blog is! Thank you so much for posting it. I am hoping anyone who uses these pens read it to understand what Frixion pens are all about.
Jane, I am so sorry this happened to you but I don't think your quilt is ruined. I bet one of the products in this article will help to remove the stains. You may also wish to consider soaking the quilt in the bathtub overnight with some dawn dish detergent in the water. Weigh the quilt down so it stays submerged. I know this is a technique used to remove bleeds. Here is a great blog on it:
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/201...hed-quilt.html
While these instructions are for a bleed, they may just work for the dried ink on your quilt.

I also hope that your posting, heartbreaking as it is, may keep another quilter from using these "wicked little pens" (and that is not wicked in the good sense) to mark a quilt for quilting. I think they are ok to mark a seam line like for HST units but not to mark anywhere on the face of the quilt.

Additionally I would avoid using peroxide at all costs. Leah Day posted how she ruined one of her show quilts trying to clean with peroxide. It basically destroyed the cotton fibers in the fabric. Now she may very well have used a solution that was too strong but why risk it. Plus this was an all white/cream colored quilt. Who knows what it would do to all the colors in yours.
Dear feline fanatic,
I found that oyxclean worked on removing the frixion pen marks. Is Oxyclean a hydrogen peroxide product you were referring to in the thread "I ruined my king size quilt"? I dont want to remove the blue only to have the fabric decinigrate,.....I am already having that problem with batiks I have in a 15 year old quilt, that I will soon have to patch. Jane Quilter
Old 08-20-2016, 10:03 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you. I was going to suggest oxyclean but now I read that it saved you. It has saved me so many times. Don't leave it to soak. Ask me how I know this! Good luck to you!

Last edited by maryellen2u; 08-20-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I am so sorry this happened to you. I was going to suggest oxyclean but now I read that it saved you. It has saved me so many times. Don't leave it to soak. Ask me how I know this! Good luck to you!
I am mixing oxyclean with water, then toothbrush scrubbing it in, set timer for 30 min,, rinse with clean water, clean toothbrush, blot excess water off. Now scrub diluted liquid Tide with warm water, rinse again, blot dry. Blow fan on it to dry...another 30min to 1 hr. Not really "soaking", just doing this on a flat table with plastic tablecloth under it. What do you think? Jane
Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 AM

I think as soon as you get it cleaned up give it a good soak in cool fresh water to lift all those multiple chemicals you've tried, as well as the Oxyclean, out of the overall quilt, and maybe rinse again. Spot rinsing is good while you are working on it, but I'd want to know the chemicals are out of the fabric in case any of them could break the fabric down over time.

Oxyclean has saved me several times from having to throw away some clothing that nothing else would save. I soaked a pair of khakis once for about 48 hours, changing the solution and rubbing several time until Oxy got the stain out...but then the pants got a good wash and rinse.