Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I ruined my king size scrap quilt. >

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

I ruined my king size scrap quilt.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
It worked....it worked....the oxyclean worked! Its a miracle! Thank you Watson. I use to have the paste....I only have the crystles ad that is what I used. Now I got to work on the perfect concentration. Woo hoo.

So very happy for you! I read all the posts, including yours, with growing despair. Good job, Watson, for the suggestion that worked!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Sigh.....wishing you continued success...
Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
With hindsight being so clear - what advice do you have for other quilters re marking their quilts?
Let me think about this....results have been inconsistent, I don't understand the science behind this so I am stabbing in the dark. But I will come to some conclusion because I have has so much wonderful help and support from the qB and there will be a next quilt.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Let me think about this....results have been inconsistent, I don't understand the science behind this so I am stabbing in the dark. But I will come to some conclusion because I have has so much wonderful help and support from the qB and there will be a next quilt.
I wonder whether perhaps some of the different treatments/chemicals might have interacted with one another. As you so wisely say -- there is quite a bit of chemistry involved in all this. I must say, though, I am somewhat dismayed to learn that the products recommended by the makers of Frixion didn't get the marks completely out. I had really hoped they would since I the quilt top I received from Thimble Lady was marked with a Frixion pen.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 AM

So great to not see any "I told you so" remarks!! Hugs and thanks folks for all your extra info on the frixion pens.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 AM

Hugs to you, Jane!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 AM

So glad you were able to get this out!

My personal "go-to" for removing marks, stains, etc., is "Mean Green". You can find it in most grocery stores in a spray bottle, but I usually get a gallon jug at Dollar General. I use it when laundering hubby's work clothes (he works in a machine shop), and this is one of the very few things that will get that kind of grease out.
On my quilts, as I've learned about different marking methods, Mean Green has been a life-saver.

A comment about the usefulness/washability of the commercial markers, versus Crayola washable markers...
1) the purple marker that fades in 24 hours... fades a lot faster if it's hot and humid (it faded almost before I could finish marking a design!!)
2) the blue pounce chalk does not always come out... unless you have some Mean Green
3)the blue markers (there are several on the market,by different manufacturers) will sometimes bleed when you try to wash/spritz them out
4) Crayola markers have NOT given my any trouble... and they're inexpensive (especially with the back-to-school sales right now)

Just my two cents worth... again, I'm happy to hear you were able to get the marks out.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 AM

OUCH!! so sorry to hear your pain!! I wish I could offer some help but I'm afraid not....at least not for this quilt. The only thing I suggest for your next quilt (should there be one) is to use a water soluble pencil. I've used them with very light pressure just enough to see the line because I fear if I mark like I would normally write the mark would get too embedded in the material and may not come out. It has worked very well for me. I even bought a white soluble pencil for darker fabric...both work very well. Sorry I can't help in this case other than permanent markers if you can get a good match in color. Good luck to you!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
So glad you were able to get this out!

My personal "go-to" for removing marks, stains, etc., is "Mean Green". You can find it in most grocery stores in a spray bottle, but I usually get a gallon jug at Dollar General. I use it when laundering hubby's work clothes (he works in a machine shop), and this is one of the very few things that will get that kind of grease out.
On my quilts, as I've learned about different marking methods, Mean Green has been a life-saver.

A comment about the usefulness/washability of the commercial markers, versus Crayola washable markers...
1) the purple marker that fades in 24 hours... fades a lot faster if it's hot and humid (it faded almost before I could finish marking a design!!)
2) the blue pounce chalk does not always come out... unless you have some Mean Green
3)the blue markers (there are several on the market,by different manufacturers) will sometimes bleed when you try to wash/spritz them out
4) Crayola markers have NOT given my any trouble... and they're inexpensive (especially with the back-to-school sales right now)

Just my two cents worth... again, I'm happy to hear you were able to get the marks out.
My favorite is still the Crayola ULtra Clean Washable Markers...I have left them for a while, ironed them, and they still came out with water or in the wash. I keep looking at getting more, and was surprised to see so many other brands offering the washable markers. But I will stay with the ultra clean unless I want to take the time to test another brand out.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Well the saga continues.....After marking this quilt with several different markers over the course of 2 years, I tried to wash them out. I used frixion pens, blue washable pens, pencils, and crayola washables so I had to use different methods to remove them. I believe the biggest disaster was the frixion pen in the light blue/turquoise color This last frixion ink would not move with heat, amodex, motsenbocker's lift off, shout, alcohol. Oxyclean and Dawn Dishwater soap with a rug cleaning surfactant was the only thing that moved it but it was slow. It went from thin blue line, to a bleeding blue line, to a blue fabric front, back and batting, to clean after about 25 scrubbings. Below are some photos of before, beginning, (skip middle-think all blue) and end. When I am all done, I will photo the whole quilt, If I don't die of elbow grease.