Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Fad" toys we had as children... >

"Fad" toys we had as children...

"Fad" toys we had as children...

Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM

You know it is fun to remember these toys. I remember tiny tears, Toni dolls, barbies and all of the things you guys have mentioned. I love to sit down and play with lincoln logs and tinker toys with my boys (14 and 11) and even my friends kids.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 PM
pal

Nobody mentioned the Sears Roebuck catalogue. We were allowed
to cut out anything we wanted. I remember cutting out watches and
rings, and Mom would tape them on me. Same with beautiful paper pins
taped to my clothes.

Remember the doctor and nurses kits? Snoozie doll? Paper dolls?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:46 PM

I thought Cootie was an ANT?
Stilts were my favorite. anyone remember tether ball? Being very tall I rocked that game! We have an old record player at our cabin and 100;s of 45's and LP's so much fun to sit and play old songs. Even my girls love to hear the "old time music" We even found a Beatles Album unopened with the cellophane intact and posters inside. Wonder what it's worth today.
Thanks for the memories...................
Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 PM

Oh GAIGAI I still love SEN SENs Hard to find anymore!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Oh the excitement when the Sears Christmas catalogue came in the mail!!! We would pour over it for days and days LMBO My kids did too, but by then there was also the Toys R Us catalogue LOL

Yes, sometimes a gift that is most treasured is a small gift, given soley from the heart, Mrspete!!! Thank you for telling us this touching memory 8) 8) 8)

Yes!!! Creepy Crawlers!!! I had the flower maker...but preferred the bugs LOL They would stick quite well to the windows in our house, Mom was not pleased at all of the bugs crawling around on the glass :roll: "What are the neighbors going to say/think???" Dad thought it was hilarious LMBO

Fizzies!!! :mrgreen: We would get in trouble for putting the tablets into our mouths instead of in a glass of water LOL
I don't remember SenSen's....What are those?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Cootie was an ant..your right!
sen-sen was a black strong tasting licorace? (SP) wasn't the package like the size of a match box?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 PM

i buy alot of the old time candies and genearl cleaners at
www.vermontcountrystore.com

i bought some old games a few years ago for my brother for Christmas..
my grandma worked at the sears catalog store in wyandotte,mi.
i grew up wearing catalog rejects..(returns!)
the sears catalog was a favorite!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:14 PM

I had Dawn dolls! They had silver go-go dresses with bright blue fringe! I also had Hi Dottie and Baby Alive. My Mom hand crochet outfits for them one year at Christmas when we were broke. Pants, sweaters and matching hats. My Barbie had hand carved wooden furniture with hand made cushions. There was a couch, chair, bed and table.

I STILL have my Spirograph and my I Dream of Jeannie doll in her bottle.

My Dad has eaten at least 9 million tiny muffins from the Easy Bake oven.

Little House on the Prairie books were a big treat. I always tried to make them "last" but always ended up setting down and reading them all the way through.

What about Romper Stompers? We couldn't afford real ones, but I had a great pair made out of old coffee cans.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Oh MY Romper Room LOL Hadn't thought about that show in decades!!! Yep...home made Romper Stompers out of tin cans and twine :mrgreen:
Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sandy1951
I loved to read. I remember the Christmas I received my first Bobbsey Twins book. After that I was often given Bobbsey Twins books for Christmas or birthdays or I saved my own money to buy them. I ended up with the entire collection and still have them. When I was a little older I became fascinated with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. And Trixie Belden. And a series about kids who lived on or near Lookout Mountain and rode horses. It seems like that series was a little darker than the others. I also really liked Cherry Ames, Student Nurse, and what was the other nurse series? Something Barton?
It was Sue Barton - I loved those books! But they were from an older generation, so I only had hand-me-down copies or those I could find in the library. Same with Trixie Belden & Cherry Ames. Do you also remember the Donna Parker series?

I had a Bobbsey Twins book or two. My mother said they'd been childhood favorites of hers. (She also mentioned having a Shirley Temple doll - didn't you post that you'd had one? How long were they around? My mother was a child during the Depression.)

One set I didn't have that other kids had was the Happy Hollister stories. Anyone remember them?

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I had all the Dawn dolls. Remember them? Kinda like a Barbie, just smaller.
I vaguely remember Dawn. I may have had one. Did her clothes fit Barbie? I had one of the silvery go-go outfits for my Barbie. It might have been a Dawn outfit. That was a Christmas gift from a neighbor, who'd bought a pile of the dolls and clothes for all her various nieces and let me choose an outfit from the lot before she wrapped the rest up for the nieces.

Originally Posted by gaigai
Fuzzy Wuzzys (Animal shaped soap that grew "fur" when you took it out of the package)
I don't remember these at all, but I have to ask, did a rhyme go with them? I do remember my cousins reciting
"Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair..."
and there were a couple more lines after that. Do you know what they are?

Originally Posted by amma
Yes!!! Creepy Crawlers!!! I had the flower maker...but preferred the bugs
Oh, I had both of these. I far preferred the flowers. I can't imagine why I had the creepy crawlers at all.