Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just because? >

Just because?

Just because?

Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mrsg730 View Post
Do you ever piece a top just because you have fabric you love or a pattern you want to try, even if you don’t have anyone in mind for it? I have two layer cakes that I’m dying to use even though there is no one in mind to give quilts to if I do use them.
Do it to please yourself, and then use it or hang it on the wall where you can enjoy it. There's no reason why everything you do should be for someone else. I have a quilt I made for the kind of reason you give, and I just draped it at the foot of a bed in the guest room, where it doesn't match anything. It's a lap quilt, and I may use if it we ever get cool enough weather, but I will feel it was worth doing just because I enjoyed the process. The quilting was good practice, too.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM

I just looked up the Spice Rack quilt. It's the same as the Walk About quilt pattern, exactly, but different fabrics. The quilt I mentioned in my above post is that pattern. It's entirely squares and chevron blocks, and no matter what size blocks you made it will work, as long as they all finish to the same size. The chevron blocks are made of hst's, and the 4 together will be the same size as the plain squares. You can just draw the size square you want, then mark off the hst's and measure what size you get. Add the seam allowances all around and you're good to go. You don't really have to plan anything except the finished size of the quilt. I would probably round that up or down so that my squares will be whole numbers + the half inch extra for seams. The one I did had to be adjusted in order to accomodate my fussy cut flower squares. I think they were 9". I don't remember what the pattern said, but I know I changed it. I always make my hst's a little big so I can trim them square. This is the top before it was quilted. My DH hurt his shoulder around that time and I didn't ask him to hold the finished quilt up, so the picture never got taken.
Attached Thumbnails walkabout2_top.jpg  
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM

I love piecing and quilting! Once in awhile I will do one especially for someone, but most of the time I just do it because...... It's nice to have a stack to pull one from when there is a need. I also do a lot of charity quilts.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 PM

Yes.. of course ! I do make a lot of quilts for family, and friends, new babies, etc... but I also enjoy making something for myself sometimes!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:00 AM

I have NEVER started a quilt with the intention of giving it away. I quilt because I enjoy it and want to produce something beautiful (well, they aren't all totally beautiful -- but they ARE all my work and I love them.)

Ultimately, most of them are given away, but only because I have a use for only so many of them around the house.

Short answer -- I don't need a reason to start a new quilt.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Why buy all this fabric on SPEC and have sewing machines "Just because I want too"...I sew everyday and I go thru books/patterns decide what I want to do this wk and go for it. No one in mind 90% of the time...Sometimes I just on a whim finish something and mail it off as a surprise to a friend or family member or give to a friend who belongs to a church group for donation..Sometimes I sell on eBay and sometimes I love it so much I rotate hanging them on walls in the Hse.
Right now I'm tired of bed quilts and working on nothing but art wall quilts.