Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just because? >

Just because?

Just because?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM

I usually make quilt just because..have made a few commissioned and for each married children (5) I gave them a choice of patterns and choice of colors but all the others are just because..

One of my late husbands questions when he saw me working on a quilt would ask" who is that for"?. Sometimes it would be for a particular person, family but most of the time my answer would be "I don't know", i just like the fabric and pattern. I finally made one that he said don't give that one away, It's for me. Made me happy that he really liked one of my quilts enough to say to keep it. Now that he is gone (died 4 month ago) It just make me sad every time i see it. Don't know what to do with it. Someone wanted to buy it for $500, but I couldn't sell it.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM

Yes, all the time now that I'm retired. Always fun to try new techniques, colors and fabrics. When you're done, you can always donate or gift if you have too many to keep.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I guess I'm in the majority. Most of my quilts are made just because I want to make them, not with someone in mind.
Me too!!! If someone wants it, all they have to do is ask for it. By the time I'm done making it, I'm sick of looking at it and ready for it to find a new home.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 PM

Yes! That's what makes this hobby fun!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
One of my late husbands questions when he saw me working on a quilt would ask" who is that for"?. Sometimes it would be for a particular person, family but most of the time my answer would be "I don't know", i just like the fabric and pattern. I finally made one that he said don't give that one away, It's for me. Made me happy that he really liked one of my quilts enough to say to keep it. Now that he is gone (died 4 month ago) It just make me sad every time i see it. Don't know what to do with it. Someone wanted to buy it for $500, but I couldn't sell it.
Don't sell it, don't get rid of it. If it hurts to look at it, that's okay and normal; if it's too much right now, maybe put it up in a closet for six months or a year. When you take it out again you will be very very glad you kept it. Put it in the dryer for a few minutes, then wrap yourself in it, close your eyes, and tell yourself it's a warm loving hug from him. <3
Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrsg730 View Post
Do you ever piece a top just because you have fabric you love or a pattern you want to try, even if you don’t have anyone in mind for it? I have two layer cakes that I’m dying to use even though there is no one in mind to give quilts to if I do use them.
My answer is YES!! absolutely. I make the flimsy and love just making one for the fun of it, rather than because there is a need. Some of my favorite tops are created just this way. I save the flimsy till there is a need, then finish it. Others recommend going ahead and completing the quilt to have it on hand, but storage space is a premium for me, so I don't do that.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Yes I do this all the time. It's fun to work on something that makes you happy. And it's nice to have tops on hand in case you need a gift for someone.
Ditto... Except for QOV, which I do for a local vet organization. But even with QOV, I make patterns I like or want to try without a recipient in in mind. Patriotic quilts are my favorites to make.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 PM

I have hardly ever started a quilt with someone in mind. It's usually a pattern I want to try. Or I want to use up some fabric. There's no law that says you can't make something for yourself or just for the fun of it. I say go for it!

Leslie
Old 09-18-2018, 01:15 AM

Ok, you convinced me. I just ordered fabric for specific quilts so I’m going to start on my layer cakes while I wait. Now to choose a pattern. I really wish I could resize the spice rack quilt but my resizing skills are a big fat zero!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 AM

I'm having fun with with the Eleanor Burns BOM too! No, it does not have a destination person, but I'm doing it anyway. She is pushing me to try some new techniques, which is a good thing!