Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Mission: Organization
  • Getting my dream sewing studio >
  • Getting my dream sewing studio

• Getting my dream sewing studio

Old 11-29-2019, 02:31 PM

So exciting for you, Cathy!! That does sound like a dream studio! And you even get to keep your vintage machine collection. Win win!!!
    Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 AM
    Power Poster

Macy, that's going to be amazing!!! If we don't see you we'll know where you are
    Old 11-30-2019, 09:19 AM

After reading the thread on carpet tiles, I'm leaning towards using them. Got the quote back on the vinyl tiles, and it appears what the salesman recommended is about the most expensive stuff out there. Right now I'm packing up and getting the pine shelves I've kept my fabric on emptied, and I'm going to paint them and reuse them at the new place. They are nice and sturdy - and at what replacements would cost, I'd rather paint and use the money for something more fun!

3 weeks and two days -
    Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 AM

Got most of the stash packed up and am going to paint my pine shelves. They were originally for displaying my sewing machines and I put them into use for holding stash when the machines went to the "shed". I had them lined with paper, but now that they are empty it's a good time to paint.

The boxes I brought home from work turned out to be the perfect size for my stash!

This is the walk in closet that will be the new home for my stash. The pine shelves will go on the left side (narrow side) and I'll put my wider shelves for totes on the other side.

The door at the far end of the closet opens into a 4' x 20' wide area that is above the stairway - it is also were the water heater for the addition is. It will be a good place to store some of my new sewing machine boxes that I keep just in case.
    Old 12-02-2019, 03:15 AM

Even though you're pretty committed to the carpet tiles, I'll put in a vote for the vinyl plank flooring. We've done that in both our DR and LR. Both purchased from Home Depot and DH did the installs. The biggest downside for me is that the floor is cold but that's probably more a product of having our front and back doors almost aligned and having air gaps in the back storm door.

The first one we purchased the brand was 'Allure'. I like it better than the brand they are now selling and we have in our LR. But it's still a better clean up than carpet, especially with the furboy. I don't have to worry about spills and such.

Don't know the cost comparison between it and the carpet tiles.
    Old 12-02-2019, 03:44 AM

My main concern with vinyl plank is that I'll have a lot of rolling chairs/storage that will get moved around. I've read that it's not a good choice if there is going to be a lot of wheeled traffic.

the other consideration is that we plan on being here 9-10 years and want to fix up the area so it could be used as a rental apartment. Right now that is not possible as it has no separate entrance and no oven/range for cooking. Carpet tiles would probably be better for that purpose than vinyl plank. It's way easier to repair if needed. The eating/cooking area will be a hard surface of some sort. What is there is still pretty nice.

I have nice carpet tiles in my new office at work and I really like it. I don't expect to make a decision until we've moved in, but I know for sure it won't be wall to wall carpet like is there now.
    Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM

Exciting, Macybaby. I enjoy seeing the pictures.
    Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Talk about an early Christmas ... this is wonderful! As quickly as you found your new home, I would say this move was meant to be.
    Old 12-04-2019, 06:38 AM

Congratulations on your find. I must have missed this thread the first time around.

Carpet of any type, even carpet tile is hard to clean. It is warmer than tile, that's true. You say your plan to stay there is 9 to 10 years. I bought close to the bottom of the line laminate (not vinyl) that is supposed to look like wood floors and it it just now showing problems. We installed it in 2005. Like you said, the area where DH uses his rolling chair is one of the problem areas (a corner on one of the tiles had broken). Another problem area is where we had a leak. Instructions said to glue the joints in areas where water is a problem. I don't think our installer did that.

Again, congrats on the house, the sewing space, the machine space and the shorter commute.

bkay
    Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

Looks wonderful!

Because I am in the "wash before cutting" group - I would try to also accommodate a large washer and dryer in the plans/set-up.