Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
ila

Originally Posted by mrsj82
Okay, so maybe this is the wrong forum to post this, but I really needed to vent to people who might understand my frustration.

I am trying to get some new quilting clients. I had a lady contact me interested in getting two full size quilts made. One from her child's old clothes, and another full one with pictures on it. I quoted her a price of $350 for BOTH quilts including the materials to add the pictures.

She hasn't contacted me since.

I am so frustrated by people who are telling me that I'm charging too much for a quilt and not even coming back! If they had ANY idea at all how much work goes into making a quilt they would realize that those prices are so freaking reasonable it's not even funny.

Do they expect me to be like Walmart and give them a bargain price? I can't even make the quilt for less than $100 in materials!

Okay I'll stop venting now, but hopefully someone on here understands and feels my pain!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
ila

made in china is Walmart's motto and we the buyer enforce it with going in there and do our shopping.
buy less and buy american made, will bring jobs back to our people, pride in our products and our country might come back. also the landfills will go down as better quality products last longer and we will through out less goods.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Okay, so maybe this is the wrong forum to post this, but I really needed to vent to people who might understand my frustration.

I am trying to get some new quilting clients. I had a lady contact me interested in getting two full size quilts made. One from her child's old clothes, and another full one with pictures on it. I quoted her a price of $350 for BOTH quilts including the materials to add the pictures.

I am so frustrated by people who are telling me that I'm charging too much for a quilt and not even coming back! If they had ANY idea at all how much work goes into making a quilt they would realize that those prices are so freaking reasonable it's not even funny.

Do they expect me to be like Walmart and give them a bargain price? I can't even make the quilt for less than $100 in materials!

Okay I'll stop venting now, but hopefully someone on here understands and feels my pain!
Wow, you are actually undercharging yourself! Don't let those people upset you. They are the same ones who will go to a garage sale and argue over an item that is listed for a quarter or fifty cents.

I haven't read all the responses so if this has already been said, my apologies for repeating it again.

One thing I have done (and will do again) is keep track of the amount of time it takes to actually make the quilt. I then add that information to the label on the back. People are usually amazed when they discover the quilt I've gifted them with took 500 hours to make and I find their attitude quickly changes & they tend to take much better care of the quilt. If you keep track of your time, when someone inquires about your making them a quilt you can tell them it usually takes X amount of time for a twin, queen, or king sized quilt. Maybe that will help weed out those who think you are charging too much.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany

Wow, you are actually undercharging yourself! Don't let those people upset you. They are the same ones who will go to a garage sale and argue over an item that is listed for a quarter or fifty cents.

I haven't read all the responses so if this has already been said, my apologies for repeating it again.

One thing I have done (and will do again) is keep track of the amount of time it takes to actually make the quilt. I then add that information to the label on the back. People are usually amazed when they discover the quilt I've gifted them with took 500 hours to make and I find their attitude quickly changes & they tend to take much better care of the quilt. If you keep track of your time, when someone inquires about your making them a quilt you can tell them it usually takes X amount of time for a twin, queen, or king sized quilt. Maybe that will help weed out those who think you are charging too much.
What a fantastic idea! I never thought about putting my time in the label! That is such a good idea, I'm going to start doing that! LOL
Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

I think your price was more than fair. Only those who understand what time and material it takes to make a quilt will appreciate what you do. Don't fret about the others who are looking at Sears catalogues and seeing the prices for those factory produced quilts and expect home made ones to be the same price.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM

That's so funny about buying a quilt from Walmart and having it come apart, as this happen to a friend of mine. She asked me if I could fix it and told her I would, but only once.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:45 PM

That's why I got into quilting as I saw a quilt I loved but couldn't afford it and here I am. hee hee
Old 01-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I don't think you are charging nearly enough. And I agree that I would rather give my quilts to someone who will really love them than sell them for next to nothing. I have sold a few things and have come to the conclusion that some people are willing to pay for quality and some wouldn't recognize it if it bit them on the nose :? Have you tried contacting some the magazines about advertising? Good luck!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM

you people are so nice. iam 72 yrs old and don't let these people bother me. If someone wants a better price, i tell them i am not running a yard sale, or that if i wanted to give something away it will be to a charity. The one that really causes them the most upset is when I have a price plainly posted and they ask me the price, like i must be kidding, i camly say, 'you really can't afford my products because my time is very valuable'. Sometimes they buy just to show me. Then i smile all the way to the bank, otherwise i just smile because they are upset not me.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Was that a piece? You should be charging at least that & more. There is a lady in Irving, TX that makes Teeshirts quilts from your shirts & charges $800.00 for some of them. Don't sell yourself short. Quilting takes a lot of time to do.