In Hiding

Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM

I was aware of why people were "in hiding" because I asked someone. I think secret angel is a really nice thing...but I have to admit, I love seeing where people are from and would love to meet people face to face. I feel as though you are my "unseen" friends and I love this board.

Margie
Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
I'm thinking that the newbies aren't actually putting that "in hiding" in their profile...they aren't putting anything in their profile and the default is "in hiding".
This is true. Until I got a PM from Butterflywing about my whereabouts status, I had no clue that the default setting went to "in hiding." I wasn't trying to be purposeful in hiding, I simply overlooked that little tidbit in my initial profile being set-up.

However, since I have a legal background and have had extensive research and schooling in online people location, I can totally relate to why some members may wish to not put their location in their profile. Cyber-security is a HUGE deal; you wouldn't believe just how many Facebooks are being hacked into, including peoples emails, personal records, etc. It may seemed far-fetched to some that people can gain useful and logistical information about you just from a chat room, but I recall just recently a few year's ago here in Arkansas a little girl was kidnapped and murdered due to an online 'stalker'.

I certainly think that if someone wishes to remain someone anonymous, then all means they should do so. It's still a free country ..... for now....:)
Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by mysacrifice
Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
I'm thinking that the newbies aren't actually putting that "in hiding" in their profile...they aren't putting anything in their profile and the default is "in hiding".
This is true. Until I got a PM from Butterflywing about my whereabouts status, I had no clue that the default setting went to "in hiding." I wasn't trying to be purposeful in hiding, I simply overlooked that little tidbit in my initial profile being set-up.

However, since I have a legal background and have had extensive research and schooling in online people location, I can totally relate to why some members may wish to not put their location in their profile. Cyber-security is a HUGE deal; you wouldn't believe just how many Facebooks are being hacked into, including peoples emails, personal records, etc. It may seemed far-fetched to some that people can gain useful and logistical information about you just from a chat room, but I recall just recently a few year's ago here in Arkansas a little girl was kidnapped and murdered due to an online 'stalker'.

I certainly think that if someone wishes to remain someone anonymous, then all means they should do so. It's still a free country ..... for now....:)

Well Said!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I can understand not putting a specific location ie street address or even town if it's a small one. There are some wierdos out there!

Mine only says France because I'm only one of two active members IN France so I guess that's specific enough? If I put my 'town' you would find me - go in the post office and ask for the English woman who quilts! You'd have to be able to speak French though! :mrgreen:

Ninnie - nice to know how to find you - some day... and I don't mind hanging out in bars ONE BIT! :lol:

EDITED to say - anyone on here who has ever sent me anything is in my Little Black Book - oh yes, I have ALL your addresses so beware! :mrgreen:
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I can understand not putting a specific location ie street address or even town if it's a small one. There are some wierdos out there!

Mine only says France because I'm only one of two active members IN France so I guess that's specific enough? If I put my 'town' you would find me - go in the post office and ask for the English woman who quilts! You'd have to be able to speak French though! :mrgreen:

Ninnie - nice to know how to find you - some day... and I don't mind hanging out in bars ONE BIT! :lol:

EDITED to say - anyone on here who has ever sent me anything is in my Little Black Book - oh yes, I have ALL your addresses so beware! :mrgreen:
I know what you mean. My location is listed as Elmwood Park.... but I do not have the state down. But it doesn't matter, I don't ship out of Elmwood Park.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ybridgegal
All I can say is if you want to find me, my screen name tells you where....know your geography? But most of the time I forget where I put me.....work? home? work? home?
Where oh where is me????

You can google the town and state too.
i googled you and found you and you're cute, too! now i know right where you are! :wink: when i looked, you were home :lol: :lol:
Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm in the same corner with Butterfly! I like to see where people live. I'm not interested in knowing their street address but would be neat to know which part of a state they live. I've pretty much stopped checking out locations anymore as I expect I'll find another quilter in hiding. Come on, get real. Butterfly, I so enjoy your jokes and wit. DottienTX and I'm not in hiding!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM

yay! :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by k3n

that's another thing - everybody knows a lot about a lot of people. who does anyone think they're kidding? if you ever donated a block or joined a swap or sent a gift or received anything ...... c'mon ladies and gentlemen, give it up :lol:
come to central new jersey and ask for butterflywing. see where that gets you.
BUT you know that someone here comes from there, right?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM

WOW Butterflywing I've never been called cute.....Thanks I think...maybe you got me mixed up with someone else.