Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM

The disappearing ink works well. I've heard the ponce is very messy. Do small areas with the disappearing ink because I've had it disappear before I was done!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Is that a greyhound on your4 couch? I rescued one 7 years ago and he's a LOVE. I also have rescued Italian Greyhound, Long Hair dachshund. and a Shih Tzu....they all get along!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by kkbrand
Do you own the quilt pounce and does it work well? Is it worth the investment?
I tried to use pounce a couple times, didn't like it. Have used templates with a washable pencil, worked better and they wash out easily. Tired the paper patterns. I really like them, but they are expensive and hard to remove the tiny pieces left under the stitches. I like the free had work, but I'm not very good at it yet. On the last baby quilt I used the Teflon mat and it really helped to get smooth quilting pattern. And with all that...If I have a large quilt it goes to my favorite LAQ lady! What ever method you choose, practice, practice, practice!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM

I've tried the pounce only once and gave up on it. Usually use the disappearing purple ink pen but sometimes I use the blue one that comes out with water. For darker fabrics, I have tried the chalk pen (hollow is filled with chalk dust and pen tip has a tiny wheel that applies the chalk); I bought this in desperation because I was out of town and my other pen had run out. I went to the only quilt store in town (Log Cabin in Goshen, OH) and was told flatly that they "don't sell the pens" because "some quilters have had problems." (Well yeah, okay, but they work for *me* and I would have *bought* them from ya, so you just missed a sale, didn't ya?)
There's also a pencil we bought at the Harrisburg PA quilt show a few years back; it's got one graphite core and one soapstone core (for marking darker fabrics) but, for me, the soapstone was too faint to see well. Best product for marking through plastic templates onto dark fabric (for my money) is tailor's chalk--it comes in white, yellow, blue and I think even red.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 AM

the one thing that is important with the pounce is that you must get that chalk flowing into the fabric "terry cloth" on the bottom. So leave the cover on, put it in a plastic ziploc (which i actually store my pounce in so no waste) and bang it on the counter several times until you see chalk puffing out of the cover.
The take it out of the bag, take the cover off, and wipe it over your stencil which is placed appropriately on the quilt.
The advantage to the pounce is that it is very quick and easy to see. The pens can work great but they take time. Again, it all depends on your needs. You can only use pounce with a stencil, as far as I know. so if you see a pattern in a book or design something yourself, you have to cut a stencil to use it. That is not the case with marking pens and pencils. So it all depends upon what you have to work with.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Someone please tell me what a "quilt pounce" is???
I would love to know. I am new to quilting and haven't even heard of this. thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 AM

it is a little plastic "box" with a cloth bottom and you fill it with chalk. when you brush it over your quilting stencil, the chalk comes through the cloth and it marks your quilting design on your quilt. Looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20606.jpe  
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM

I don't have the pounce, but I have used chalk and it's messy and comes off. I got a great idea from my Mother. My grand niece is always drawing on everything and my Mother got her the childproof color wash out markers. That's what I've been using. However, I mark on a piece of scrap fabric first, then wash it to make sure it's going to come out. That way I can mark it in any color I want that will show up, then wash and viola.
Doug in Akron, OH
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM

I bought the pouncer when it first came out and used it once. I think I mistook the word Pounce for Bounce, since I banged it all over the quilt stencil with great gusto.

When I looked in the mirror, I thought of auditioning for the "Blue Man Group"!!

As for marking the quilting lines, it did, but not long enough to get much quilting done.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 AM

I have the Pounce system and do not like it. Marked an entire quilt only to have the powder come off before I could get it set up on my long arm frame. Would not recommend spending the money.
Took a class from Cindy Needham. She told us to test any marker on an inconspicuous part of the quilt and then try to wash it off. This saves you the time and aggravation of doing something wrong.
I have used a variety of marking pens and pencils and always seem to need a color I don't have.
Chris