Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Dkm

I've looked also, but the cost???? I have a friend that has one and she is in love with it. She said it does have it's quirks, but trial and error helps you learn. Be sure that your dealer has had training on the machine. Lots haven't and you are left on your own.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM

....and here I am with a 45 yo Nelco that's still putting along. I did buy a new belt as mine's getting pretty worn and is starting to slip. The machine has been a workhorse! :thumbup:
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM

I would be your dealer! You are looking at good quality machines, there are going to be some things you like about one brand or another. But your dealer is critical - you are going to have questions, you may want to take some classes, you may have service or warranty issues. You don't want to be like SewCrazyGirl who couldn't get any help....

We are fortunate to have Pfaff, Viking, Janome, and Bernina shops in our town. I narrowed it to Pfaff or Viking and purchased based on the people in the shop. MHO
Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM

Well, here's what I do and it's a real money saver, but oh-so-dependable. I use Kenmores. I have two, and at the time I got the second one, I could have bought way up from it but I found that the difference in price just wasn't worth it for what I got.

I discovered that Kenmores are made by Janome. In fact, there are a couple very specialized attachments not available through Kenmore/Sears, but the Janome attachments work perfectly. The models I have are the 385.19030 and the 385.19110 (got the last one 3-4 years ago).

I raised my four kiddos sewing on Kenmores and have never, ever had to have one repaired. I DO take them in every couple of years or so for a good cleaning and tune-up, and they just keep purring along, never giving me an ounce of trouble.

I do EVERYTHING on my machines (the parts/attachments are interchangeable too) -- There are 40 or so decorative and special function stitches and I've used them all. I have sewed up to 6 layers of denim (with the right needle, of course) without a problem. I do machine quilt and do a lot of free motion quilting as well. And I sew lots of fleece and use the overedge foot much like a serger.

The absolute best attachment I ever, ever bought for my machine(s) is a plexiglass extending table ($70). Just about every other attachment was easily under $15-$20 as I recall.

Oh yes, the last machine I bought (with basic attachments) I got for $300. Szzuuch a deal, dahlink!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM

My input would be, check the prices on the accessories. I'm not sure about now, but the Bernina everything was always higher the last time I looked. They are great machines! Loved my Pfaff, too. Currently have a Janome 9000 after using an 8000. Don't do much embroidery anymore. Is anyone interested in buying some of my memory cards? They fit 8000 and 9000 Janomes.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM

It kind of depends on how you want to use the machine. I have the Bernina Aurora 440QE, and I absolutely love it. I got the embroidery module that goes with it for Christmas, and I love that too. I don't know that much about the machine you mention, but if you are going to use it for embroidery, think about the size of the monitor you have to work on. Although I need to have a laptop beside me to do embroidery, I prefer working on the larger screen to the tiny one on the equivalent machine with the embroidery module built in. Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 PM

It surely can be confusing when you want to buy a new sewing machine.

I like all the major brands. I bought one that I knew I could afford, have fun working with, and not need a lot of expensive feet. It is easy to repair, too. It was a Pfaff. I got it because of the dual feed [IDT technology] as I have severe enough arthritis in my hands and limited mobility. it is my 'traveling machine.'

Then I finally did buy a Creative Vision [CV.] This is my 'baby.' I don't take it out of my house except for CV classes. It cost too much to want to take it to classes or group quilting sessions.

Basically, check your budget, ask for a no interest loan which most dealers offer, and find a machine you can bond with. Even if it is a Featherweight.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by flybreit
I would buyour dealer! You are looking at good quality machines, there are going to be some things you like about one brand or another. But your dealer is critical - you are going to have questions, you may want to take some classes, you may have service or warranty issues. You don't want to be like SewCrazyGirl who couldn't get any help....

We are fortunate to have Pfaff, Viking, Janome, and Bernina shops in our town. I narrowed it to Pfaff or Viking and purchased based on the people in the shop. MHO
Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 PM

I would buy your dealer! You are looking at good quality machines, there are going to be some things you like about one brand or another. But your dealer is critical - you are going to have questions, you may want to take some classes, you may have service or warranty issues. You don't want to be like SewCrazyGirl who couldn't get any help....

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

I have 2 Pfaffs and would not trade either. If I purchase
another machine it will be a Pfaff.
The new Singer is mostly plastic. Ask lots of questions to other sewers, and visit local dealer. Don't let price determine what you test sew. Top of the line may not serve your needs. The bottom will not cover your needs if you sew much.