Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt as you go! >

quilt as you go!

quilt as you go!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Sue, Could you please share photos with us. I'm sure others would love to see them as much as I do.
Patty

Originally Posted by ohstr
Hi Sewing Grandma,
They are a line of quilt as you go quilt patterns - and they have a totally different look and feel. Strips are cut and pieced into strip sets then the strip sets are cut. Some cuts are straight while others are cut on an angle. When they are put together the designs are very different - check them out at their website - the name of the company Prairie Sky Quilting. To this point I have made 3 of them, this weekend I made a 12 block table runner - and it is completely done. I am in no way associated with the company - just one happy, happy quilter that has found a pattern that I can start and finish. I purchased 1 pattern at a show in the fall - then I purchased 4 others. They are great....
I am always anxious to hear what others hear about them. I will be going to Paducah to the show in April and I just may pick up the ones that I do not have already. I am hooked!!!!
Enjoy,
Sue in Pennsylvania
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM

I will see what I can do when I get home from work. I have the table runner and one of the quilts. I gave the other as gifts. This is a quilt that can be made and used.
Thanks,
Sue
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Looking at the quilts on that site, it appears that they may be joined the same as the other QSYG projects? Is that they way they are joined? Attaching them with sashing strips to the blocks and then joining the rows?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM

The backing square is cut larger and serves as the sashing. Sew blocks together, press seam open fold seam into seam and topstitch.... that is it...
Sue
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Do you fold both seems - one to the left and one to the right? Trying to figure it out in my mind. Also how does that work when you attach the rows?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

That's right - one part of the seam (which is 7/8 to 1 inch)to the left and one to the right, then to sew the rows together - same process - fabric right sides together - sew press open - fold topstitch. The outer edge of the quilt is finished in the same manner.
These would be great kid friendly quilts - because they are fast and there are a couple of the patterns that would lend themselves well to children's prints.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Is the size of the square based on the size of the batting? I assume that you quilt these blocks before they are assembled?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Batting size is 7 1/2 inches, and back/sashing square 9 1/2 inches.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:15 PM

I looked at the patterns this morning. If you click on the "retail" prompt it takes you to the site called Quilters Warehouse. All I can say is WOW. I was almost late leaving for work looking at all the wonderful things there. I'm going back there now that I'm home :mrgreen:

Shelley
Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 AM

Just remember you only have one seam holding the blocks and rows togather and these can pull apart. I made my quilt larger than the pattern and it is coming apart. Im talking about Fun and Done.