Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what did I do wrong? Help >

what did I do wrong? Help

what did I do wrong? Help

Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Try using your quarter inch. foot I love minemake every thing better.If your machine doesn't have one they make all purposes ones for all machines. Have fun. :thumbup:
Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM

I got a 1/4 inch foot. I hope this helps. I didnt sew all weekend. I got very dishearted. Maybe I just tried something that was a little to hard for a beginner. Ill go back to something simple and see where I can go from there.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:22 PM

Don't get dishearted. when things are not going right for you it's best to set aside for a day and then go back and look at what could have been wrong and fix it.

There has been nothing that I have done that I didn't have to rip some part of it out and redo, this is the only way to learn. I carry a ripper with me every where I go to sew.

Good luck on your project.

Cookie
Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 PM

Skavanau please don't be discouraged. You will get it and be just fine! It takes a bit to get it all figured out. Once you get your 1/4 in. figured out, I would mark your machine with tape or something so it can be your guide. Then practice making your 1/2 Sq Triangles. When you get that down, make a set and sew those together with them being your top pieces for your Pinwheel. Then sew 2 more together for your bottom 1/2 of your Pinwheel. Can you see your points? If so, take a straight pin and at your points underneath your top section on the wrong side, stick the straight pin up where the points meet. Okay take your bottom section right side toether with the top section, connect them where the points line up onto the pin point. Now pin on ea. side securing well. If you want to pin it further you can. Stitch it together. I hope I have not totally confused you even more. This is the way I learned & I just love making pinwheels. The dogs had a lot of quilts with the practice pieces at first, but I finally got it one day & since then I just really love making them. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 AM

Thank you very much Ill try this. I think Ill try something a little easier and then come back to these. I get excited and I want to do everything instead off taking my time and going slow. Thanks for everything.I really love quilting, even though Im a beginner, its so calming, I just have to take my time an not get all in my own face.
Sharon
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM

Every one has some kind of trouble or learning stumble .Just ask for stories.I didn't start feeling good about my self our my quilts till i started reading other peoples stories.The quilter on this board are the greatest .They share hints, stories ,stumbles ,and give yiu encoragement(don't think i spelled this right) :thumbup:
Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM

skavanau- I have always had trouble with the 1/4" seam allowance. My first quilt teacher told us that if we had a problem with it and no matter what we did we just couldn't get it, then we should use whatever allowance we used, but be consistant with it. In other words, if you use a 1/2" seam, just be sure you use that same measurement in all your seams for that project. But you also have to allow for it by cutting things bigger, or know that your overall quilt project will be smaller than what your pattern says. I hope this doesn't confuse you any more than what you are, but it's something to think about. I use the brother foot and so far so good, but for some reason I want to make bigger seams. Maybe it's because I have sewn clothing for 40 years and it's hard to go from a 5/8" seam to a 1/4". Just remember that your quilts are your quilts and there are no quilt police and no one is a perfect quilter. And don't beat yourself up over it. In time, you'll see a big difference in your quilting and will be happy with your projects.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Here's something that may help you in getting your 1/4 inch seam right. Measuring from the needle isn't always accurate because it doesn't account for the thickness of the fabric when you fold it open. Cut a couple strips of fabric 2 inches wide. Sew them together using what you think is 1/4 " seam. then press open and measure the two. They should measure exactly 3 1/2". If they are wider, then your seam allowance is not deep enough and you need to adjust it. If they are less than 3 1/2" then your seam allowance is too deep and you need to adjust it. Keep trying until you get a perfect 3 1/2" piece. Then double check by sewing 4 strips together. It should measure 6 1/2" exactly. When you get it right, mark it! Lots of good ideas for marking it. I've tried several ways and the best I've found is masking tape. Cut into the roll till you have several layers of tape. Unroll and cut off and place the tape where your fabric will butt up against it at that perfect 1/4" mark. I've been quilting for over 30 years and that is the one most important thing I've learned. Also, if you change the kind of fabric you use, (denim, flannel, wool, etc.) do this again because the fabric is thicker and you may need to adjust your seams again. I love making HST oversized and then trimming them to size with a small ruler that has a 45 degree angle marked. When sewing them, they always fit together so perfectly. Believe me, this took me a long time to learn to be accurate, but I wish I would have learned it sooner. If you are very careful to cut accurately and sew with an accurate 1/4" seam, your quilts will be beautiful every time!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement. Ive been really sick this pass week so I didnt touch any sewing. But when I get my faculities back, Im going to start another quilt. I think its called a strip quilt. So not to tax my brain so much, Ill try this one and then go back to the star pattern that turned out to be a meteor. Right now my chest hurts so bad I can hardly sit up. Thanks to all of you for making me feel better. really Thank you.
Sharon
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by SandyMac
Every one has some kind of trouble or learning stumble .Just ask for stories.I didn't start feeling good about my self our my quilts till i started reading other peoples stories.The quilter on this board are the greatest .They share hints, stories ,stumbles ,and give yiu encoragement(don't think i spelled this right) :thumbup:
my DD sent me the picture thats in your avatar....just love it.